[comp.windows.x] Help & helpless with XTROFF

meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) (08/02/90)

(David Gonzalez-Nieves) writes:

>Hello:

>	I have been trying to compile Xtroff and I always get syntax errors in
>the ask.c module of the XtStuff directory. I get the following message:

>nontech>> make
>cc -O   -I/usr/local/pkg/X11/include -I. -I./lib/X  -I. -I./X1
>1    -DXWINDOWS -DDIRENT -DXAW_BC  -sun3 -c  ask.c
                 ^^^^^^^^---the key
>ask.c: 161: DIRSIZ: argument mismatch
>ask.c: 162: DIRSIZ: argument mismatch
>"ask.c", line 161: syntax error at or near symbol )
>"ask.c", line 162: syntax error at or near symbol )

In the Imakefile, there is an entry DIRENT that *appears*
to be defined only for SystemV systems. Do not believe it. Comment
it out anyway. I forget whether this is in the main Imakefile or
the XtStuff Imakefile.

BTW - I also had a conflict there when the _XtWindow_h macro
in Chris's window widget was previously defined in some other
X11 (R3) header file. I changed the name of the Window widget
header file macro.

Has anyone got a real, *complete* Imakefile for xtroff so you
don't have to wade through the README's, mung the Imakefiles,
and climb through directories attempting extra makes to get
this to work for non-Suns?

For that matter, if someone has it working on a DECstation, I'd
appreciate knowing just what steps you took to get it running.
It compiles just fine, but dies in the initialization of the
troff device (or something like that). I don't have hours to spend
on xtroff...

Miles O'Neal
{uunet | emory}!rsiatl!meo (home)
meo@sware.com              (work)
{uunet | emory}!sware!meo  (work)

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (08/03/90)

meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) writes:
>Has anyone got a real, *complete* Imakefile for xtroff so you
>don't have to wade through the README's, mung the Imakefiles,
>and climb through directories attempting extra makes to get
>this to work for non-Suns?

Um, we run it on Suns and SGIs.  The DIRENT problem didn't get noticed
because they all understand dirent now.

If anyone does improve xtroff's Imakefiles (or xtroff), I'd like a
copy too...

>It compiles just fine, but dies in the initialization of the
>troff device (or something like that). I don't have hours to spend
>on xtroff...

It would help if you had a more accurate error message.  From what you
describe, it sounds like it couldn't find makedev on your system.  No,
I don't have hours to spend on it either.

	Mark.