[comp.windows.x] X11 Version 4 on AIX 2.2.1 RT

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (07/31/90)

Has anyone REALLY compiled and run the R4 code under AIX?  The
APA16 code doesn't compile and the megapel doesn't work for me.
Is anyone interested in getting this to work?

Ed Clarke
clarke@acheron.uucp
--
               | "Pain, n.  An uncomfortable frame of mind that may have
Ed Clarke      |  a physical basis in something that is being done to the
acheron!clarke |  body, or may be purely mental, caused by the good fortune

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul31.014354.26121@acheron.uucp>, clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) writes:
> Has anyone REALLY compiled and run the R4 code under AIX?  The
> APA16 code doesn't compile and the megapel doesn't work for me.
> Is anyone interested in getting this to work?

If you had been reading this group or comp.windows.x for a while, you should
know that there is no working X11R4 server for AIX 2.2.1/RT. There should
be an addendum file on the distribution somewhere stating this. Evidently,
IBM chose not to give MIT a sample server... Anyway, the libraries all
compile fine, as do clients that do not rely on server extensions.

							Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +
+ If nothing else works                              woan@soda.berkeley.edu +

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (08/01/90)

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) writes:

>Has anyone REALLY compiled and run the R4 code under AIX?  The
>APA16 code doesn't compile and the megapel doesn't work for me.
>Is anyone interested in getting this to work?

I would be very interested, but I don't think it has been done yet.
I asked questions about this before. If someone hase done this,
I'd like to hear about it too.

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (08/02/90)

From article <1777@peyote.cactus.org>, by woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan):
> If you had been reading this group or comp.windows.x for a while, you should
> know that there is no working X11R4 server for AIX 2.2.1/RT. There should
> be an addendum file on the distribution somewhere stating this. Evidently,
> IBM chose not to give MIT a sample server...

They did give MIT a sample server; it just doesn't work.  All the pieces are
there - for the megapel version at least.  I'm in the process of re-compiling
at the current patch level (via make World) right now.

Making the sample work can't be as difficult as implementing a server from
scratch ( I hope ).  I've already found a few obvious mistakes in some of
the megapel/hft code.
--

jsw@xhead.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Weinstein) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug2.014641.2397@acheron.uucp>, clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed
Clarke/10240000) writes:

> They did give MIT a sample server; it just doesn't work.

	You are wrong about this.  It works on the platforms it was
	meant to work on, AOS 4.3 and AIX PS/2.  You may be able to
	get it to work on AIX RT, since as you say, most of the
	pieces are there.  It was known at the time(by me at least)
	that the code didn't work on AIX RT, and no effort was
	put into making it work.

		--Jeff (former IBM X hacker...)

Jeff Weinstein - X Protocol Police
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems
jsw@xhead.esd.sgi.com
Any opinions expressed above are mine, not sgi's.