[comp.windows.x] What is PEX?

KONRAD@UCBCMSA.BITNET (08/01/90)

> From: bu.edu!ics!xug@bloom-beacon.mit.edu  (X User's Group)
> Subject: Frequently Asked Questions about X with Answers [long monthly
posting]
> Subject: 27)* What is PEX?
>
>  The PHiGS Extension to X is a proposed X Consortium standard awaiting
> proof of concept. Sun Microsystems is currently contracted to develop a freely
> redistributable (copyright similar to the current X copyright) sample
> implementation.  The current schedule calls for this implementation to be
> publicly available in early 1991. Several vendors are currently selling
> independently-developed PEX servers for their workstations.
> [7/90]

But, what *is* PEX?   What is PHiGS?   Where can one read more about it?

west@gsrc.enet.dec.com (Jim West (Stealth Contractor)) (08/02/90)

In article <9008011637.AA05543@expo.lcs.mit.edu>, KONRAD@UCBCMSA.BITNET writes...

>But, what *is* PEX?   What is PHiGS?   Where can one read more about it?

  PHIGS stands for Programmer's Hierarchical Interactive Graphics System.
It is essentially a library of functions that simplifies the creation and
manipulation of 3D graphics.

  If you are familiar with 3D graphic systems from the internal point of
view you realize all the math involved with rendering 3D objects, shading,
lighting, etc.

  Normally all this work is done with software on most vendor platforms.  There
exist however, hardware platforms that can do the computations necessary for
3D graphics.  If these platforms are used via an X11 server then standard X
does not make use of these hardware features.  Thus PEX, PHIGS extension to
X.

  This server extension allows the client (PHIGS in this case) to take
advantage of the specialized hardware for 3D graphics.

 Jim West                      |  The Schainker Converse
 west@gsrc.enet.dec.com        |  to Hoare's Law :

 These are my opinions.        |   Inside every small problem
 Digital has no idea           |     is a larger problem struggling
 what I'm  saying.             |       to get out.

jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh @stardent) (08/04/90)

<1520@shodha.dec.com> (Jim West (Stealth Contractor))
> In article <9008011637.AA05543@expo.lcs.mit.edu>, KONRAD@UCBCMSA.BITNET
> >But, what *is* PEX?   What is PHiGS?   Where can one read more about it?
>
>   PHIGS stands for Programmer's Hierarchical Interactive Graphics System.
> It is essentially a library of functions that simplifies the creation and
> manipulation of 3D graphics.

That's a good start. But where can you read more about it? For PEX you
need to go back to an R1 or R2 tape to find the Introduction and Overview.
It is quite out of date now, but still provides the best way to jump in.
That would be in ...X11/mit/doc/extensions/PEX or the like.

For a quick introduction to the concepts of PHIGS I would get the
new Foley, vanDam, Feiner and Hughes. It has a chapter on PHIGS -
but it is not the standard PHIGS. It is more like what PHIGS would
have been if GKS compatability were not so important. It is published
by Addison Wesley and you can get the source code for SPHIGS: the
package they describe.

Computer Graphics:   ISBN 0-201-12110-7
SPHIGS, etc for PC   ISBN 0-201-54700-7
SPHIGS, etc for Mac  ISBN 0-201-54701-5
SPHIGS, etc for X11  ISBN 0-201-54702-3

There is an annotated bibliography of PHIGS in Computer Graphics Forum
8 (1989) by Toby Howard who has posted it to comp.graphics.

Also, there are the specs: PEX, PHIGS88 and PHIGS-PLUS. A little
daunting the first time through...

../X11R4/mit/doc/extensions/PEX
Makefile     cover.ms     encoding.ms  protocol.ms  toc.hdr

And PHIGS88

Computer Graphics-Programmer's Hierarchical Interactive Graphics
System (PHIGS) Functional Description...
ANSI Standard X3.144-1988. (Language bindings are X3.144.x, where
x=1 (FORTRAN), 2 (PASCAL), 3 (ADA), 4 (C).)

Call ANSI in New York for ordering (212)354-3300

And PHIGS-PLUS since it is not a standard you can get the latest
public review copy from Global Engineering (800)854-7179

--
-Jan "YON" Hardenbergh - jch@stardent.com                uunet!stardent!jch
Stardent Computer, Inc.,  95 Wells Ave., Newton, MA 02159 (617)964-6228x261