[comp.windows.x] DEC VT1000 question: can it TELNET also?

Mike.Santangelo@UC780.UMD.EDU (07/26/90)

I have a question...  Does anyone know if the DEC VT1000 X windowing terminal
can TELNET to a host over its ethernet?  That is to say, is it possible
to just get the thing to open a window on its own and TELNET to a host
within it, perhaps maintain several TELNET sessions in multiple windows
aside from being an X windows server for some host?

DEC literature I have doesn't say, just says "does TCP/IP" and does
VT320 emuluation...

    Michael F. Santangelo
    UNIX / VMS Systems Manager
    Academic Computing UMUC

keeler@royalt.dec.com (Gary N. Keeler) (07/26/90)

In article <9007252216.AA15732@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>, Mike.Santangelo@UC780.UMD.EDU writes...

cleary@husc9.harvard.edu (Kenneth Cleary) (07/28/90)

In article <9007252216.AA15732@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> Mike.Santangelo@UC780.UMD.EDU writes:
>I have a question...  Does anyone know if the DEC VT1000 X windowing terminal
>can TELNET to a host over its ethernet?  That is to say, is it possible
>to just get the thing to open a window on its own and TELNET to a host
>within it, perhaps maintain several TELNET sessions in multiple windows
>aside from being an X windows server for some host?
>
>DEC literature I have doesn't say, just says "does TCP/IP" and does
>VT320 emuluation...
>
>    Michael F. Santangelo
>    UNIX / VMS Systems Manager
>    Academic Computing UMUC

The VT1000 sort of acts as its own terminal server.
It creates virtual LAT & TELNET terminals, which it then *serves*.
These virtual terminals coexist with X Sessions, and don't crash
as often :-)  Aside from just using them as char-cell terminals,
they are good for logging into multiple hosts, and starting up
clients, when you already have a window manager from another host
running.

We are still waiting for revised ROM's which are supposed to reduce
crashes.

zzassgl@mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) (07/31/90)

Yes, you can telnet out of a VT1000 to a remote Unix machine via
TCP/IP.
BUT How do you access non-DEC fonts on that remote m/c?  The
documentation suppied with the terminal assumes that you have DEC
software.
--
Geoff. Lane.                                  Janet: zzassgl@uk.ac.mcc.cms
UTS Sys Admin, Manchester Computing Centre, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9PL

thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) (08/01/90)

In article <1530@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>, zzassgl@mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) writes:

> Yes, you can telnet out of a VT1000 to a remote Unix machine via
> TCP/IP.
> BUT How do you access non-DEC fonts on that remote m/c?  The
> documentation suppied with the terminal assumes that you have DEC
> software.
> --
> Geoff. Lane.                                  Janet: zzassgl@uk.ac.mcc.cms
> UTS Sys Admin, Manchester Computing Centre, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9PL

I have a couple of good questions.  I haven't gotten the thing to work
right yet.  I start a tcp/ip session to a host.  On the host I type
xterm -display myxterminal &  and the vt1000 crashes.  I thought it might
be a font problem.  The manual doesn't say clearly but it looks like fonts
are transfered via tftp on request if you set up the font paths properly.
The other question I have is what is the proper font path?  The manual is
extreamly vague.

#!/bin/sh
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#
echo Bill Thorson                   thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
echo Dept of Atmospheric Science    (303) 491-8339
echo Colorado State University
echo Ft. Collins,  CO  80523        Cray||Sun||Amiga -- I can't decide?
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

zzassgl@mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) (08/02/90)

In article <8259@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) writes:
>be a font problem.  The manual doesn't say clearly but it looks like fonts
>are transfered via tftp on request if you set up the font paths properly.
>The other question I have is what is the proper font path?  The manual is
>extreamly vague.

The VT1000 requires specially formatted font files so I have been told.
If you have access to the X11r4 sources then there is a contributed
utility in the directory VT1000 that is supposed to be able to create
suitable files - so far I have not managed to get it to work on my
SYS V machine.

--

manager@usgcdh.uucp (08/06/90)

In article <9007252216.AA15732@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>, Mike.Santangelo@UC780.UMD.EDU writes:
> I have a question...  Does anyone know if the DEC VT1000 X windowing terminal
> can TELNET to a host over its ethernet?  That is to say, is it possible
> to just get the thing to open a window on its own and TELNET to a host
> within it, perhaps maintain several TELNET sessions in multiple windows
> aside from being an X windows server for some host?
>
> DEC literature I have doesn't say, just says "does TCP/IP" and does
> VT320 emuluation...

The VT1000 will allow the user to set its IP address and subnet mask.
It will allow one to Telnet to a host, and it will allow one to start
X clients on that host (through the Telnet session). It will *not*
allow one to start up a window manager on the host to the best of
my knowledge (I just tried it with an HP9000/825).

Using DEC's LAT transport, it will allow the user to connect to a host,
and it will allow the user to start an X session with a window manager
running on the VMS or Ultrix host.

Hope this information helps. It's purely empirical.
--
Todd Aven
Manager, Mid-range Computer Services

Internet:	manager@cai.com