[comp.windows.x] Xt used by MOTIF

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (08/04/90)

In article <11624@paperboy.OSF.ORG> ron@osf.org (Ron Birnbaum) writes:
>In article <1990Aug2.233602.8775@wrl.dec.com> klee@wsl.dec.com writes:
>>I understand that the next version of Motif will work with the X11R4 Xt.
>
> Yes, with certain R4 Xt patches which will be provided with Motif 1.1.

Oh no, not again.  Exactly what are these "certain Xt patches"?  Have they
been submitted to the X Consortium so that they could (hopefully) be
included in the "official" R4 patches?  A lot of people have complained
loud and long about having to keep around a special version of Xt for use
with Motif.  This was supposed to finally not be necessary with Motif 1.1,
but if there are special non-standard patches required for Motif, we are
right back to having to keep an "official" Xt and a "Motif-patched" Xt.

jw

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (08/04/90)

    Oh no, not again.  Exactly what are these "certain Xt patches"?

I am not privy to exactly what OSF will ship, but we at MIT have been
cooperating with OSF in an attempt to ensure that the R4 Xt, amended
by the public Xt patches we have published on expo, is capable of
supporting the next Motif release.  (There is no special arrangement
with OSF, we would be happy to try and cooperate similarly with other
vendors, within our ability.)

libby@dumpling.osf.org (Libby Hanna) (08/06/90)

In article <994@pan.UUCP> jw@pan.uu.ch (Jamie Watson) writes:
>In article <11624@paperboy.OSF.ORG> ron@osf.org (Ron Birnbaum) writes:
>>In article <1990Aug2.233602.8775@wrl.dec.com> klee@wsl.dec.com writes:
>>>I understand that the next version of Motif will work with the X11R4 Xt.
>>
>> Yes, with certain R4 Xt patches which will be provided with Motif 1.1.
>
>Oh no, not again.  Exactly what are these "certain Xt patches"?  Have they
>been submitted to the X Consortium so that they could (hopefully) be
>included in the "official" R4 patches?  A lot of people have complained
>loud and long about having to keep around a special version of Xt for use
>with Motif.  This was supposed to finally not be necessary with Motif 1.1,
>but if there are special non-standard patches required for Motif, we are
>right back to having to keep an "official" Xt and a "Motif-patched" Xt.
>
>jw

When OSF releases 1.1, we plan to define which patch level of Xt is required.
The patches are the same as the patches distributed by the Consortium, which
(who?) has been very cooperative in publishing Xt patches needed by Motif.

The only reason OSF would ship a special "MOTIF" patch to Xt is if some nasty
bug which was not patched in the defined Xt patch level turns up during testing.In that case, we would provide a MOTIF patch on the tape and also submit the
needed fix to the Consortium, for release in a future patch level (hopefully).
At this time, the necessity of a MOTIF patch is unknown.

So, in short, no, not again.

Libby Hanna - Motif QA              Open Software Foundation
libby@osf.osf.org                   Cambridge, MA   (617) 621-8820
Standard disclaimer applies.

/****************************************************************************/
			This is my sample signature
/****************************************************************************/

vania@osf.ORG (Vania Joloboff) (08/06/90)

>  mcsun!cernvax!chx400!pan!jw@uunet.uu.net (Jamie Watson):
>     Oh no, not again.  Exactly what are these "certain Xt patches"?

>  rws@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Bob Scheifler):
>  I am not privy to exactly what OSF will ship, but we at MIT have been
>  cooperating with OSF in an attempt to ensure that the R4 Xt, amended
>  by the public Xt patches we have published on expo, is capable of
>  supporting the next Motif release.

OSF has been communicating bugs in Xt to MIT, with their proposed fixes.
After checking them, for some bugs, the Consortium integrated OSF fixes,
for a few it made new fixes. But the MIT/X Consortium staff
indeed responded in timely manner to make the fixes.

	OSF thanks to them !!

It results that the "certain Xt patches" necessary to run Motif 1.1
are: all public MIT patches from 1 to 15.

Also, Bob's recent fixes to Xlib make Motif 1.1 considerably faster
at startup time.