[comp.windows.x] Xsun and shared libraries

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/06/90)

How come Xsun doesn't use any of the shared libraries?

-lXau and -lXext for two examples ...

/jordan

>How come Xsun doesn't use any of the shared libraries?
>
>-lXau and -lXext for two examples ...

The Makefile appears to link libraries in from the X source tree, which
makes it more of a pain to get shared libraries linked in.  My guess is
that it does so in order to permit you to build all of the MIT stuff in
one lump, without having to build and install the libraries first.

Is this the explanation, or is there some deeper explanation?

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/08/90)

Guy Harris <guy@auspex.com> writes:

	The Makefile appears to link libraries in from the X source
	tree, which makes it more of a pain to get shared libraries
	linked in.  My guess is that it does so in order to permit you
	to build all of the MIT stuff in one lump, without having to
	build and install the libraries first.

Er, the clients get build in that same pass.  They get shared libraries.

/jordan