[comp.windows.x] MS Windows in X Windows

lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) (07/31/90)

Hi.  I wonder if anyone has tried this ....

I have X and Simultask set up on my 386.  I have been able to run
DOS within an X window.  I am wondering if it is possible (has anyone
tried and suceeded) to now run MS Windows within that DOS - X window
without having MS Windows take over the entire display?  I would like
to have unix and MS Windows displayed at the same time.

What about it folks?  Is it possible?

	Lisa Krauth (att!lzatt!lak)

rush@CACFS.ARMY.MIL (David A. Rush) (08/01/90)

Lisa:

You probably won't be able to run MS Windows within X.  MS Windows,
like many DOS programs, directly accesses the video hardware, making
it virtually impossible to keep it inside someone else's window.
(Although Desqview can do it, I think.)  You might have better luck using
MS Windows running as an X window manager.  I believe there are
a couple of these products out there in the real world (ie. for $$$).

Good Luck...
David
  David A. Rush			DDN: rush@cacfs.army.mil
  SRI International, P.O. Box 3250, Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027
  (913) 682-9101 (fax) 682-9119
  "Remember: no matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

lestat@nontech.Berkeley.EDU (David Gonzalez-Nieves) (08/01/90)

>Hi.  I wonder if anyone has tried this ....
>
>I have X and Simultask set up on my 386.  I have been able to run
>DOS within an X window.  I am wondering if it is possible (has anyone
>tried and suceeded) to now run MS Windows within that DOS - X window
>without having MS Windows take over the entire display?  I would like
>to have unix and MS Windows displayed at the same time.
>
>What about it folks?  Is it possible?
>
>	Lisa Krauth (att!lzatt!lak)

-------------------------------

Hi

	About a year ago the Image Processing Lab at University of Puerto Rico
at Mayaguez, got a AT&T 6386 PC. This PC was running OpenLook and we
also installed Simultask on it. Unfortunately, we could not find a way
to install Windows 386 while running under Simultask.

	It seems that Simultask uses the virtual 386 mode. Windows 386 checks
the type of CPU it is running under, and doesn't recognize the 386. The
error message we got was that it needed a 386 CPU.

	We did not try to install other versions of Windows. You might try
Windows for PC XT (Windows 2.11).

bye

David Gonzalez          lestat@ctt.bellcore.com
Bellcore                Architecture Technology District
RRC 1M207S
444 Hoes Lane
Piscatway, NJ 08854     VOICE (201) 699-6387
Internet, E-Mail:       lestat@ctt.bellcore.com

DISCLAIMER:

Bellcore is not responsible for anything I say, write or think
 if they can be sued. I am not resposible for anything I say,
write or even think if I can be sued. (Doesn't have any logic!
!!)

littauer@uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Jul31.153302.29567@cbnewsj.att.com> lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) writes:

>Hi.  I wonder if anyone has tried this ....
>
>I have X and Simultask set up on my 386.  I have been able to run
>DOS within an X window.  I am wondering if it is possible (has anyone
>tried and suceeded) to now run MS Windows within that DOS - X window
>without having MS Windows take over the entire display?  I would like
>to have unix and MS Windows displayed at the same time.

I'm currently experimenting with XVision which lets me open X clients on
my UNIX System (an Amdahl mainframe) from MS windows. I can thus run DOS
and UNIX applications side by side. XVision does have its limitations; see
the current Byte for a brief review.
--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ames,uunet}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Jul31.153302.29567@cbnewsj.att.com> lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) writes:
=
=Hi.  I wonder if anyone has tried this ....
=
=I have X and Simultask set up on my 386.  I have been able to run
=DOS within an X window.  I am wondering if it is possible (has anyone
=tried and suceeded) to now run MS Windows within that DOS - X window
=without having MS Windows take over the entire display?  I would like
=to have unix and MS Windows displayed at the same time.

Have you tried MSW under Simultask???

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

turing@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60284000) (08/03/90)

You might try MS windows 3.0 with the /R option which forces
windows to use real mode (should be compatible with 8088/86). This
should not require any protected mode functions.
-- Brad

   "Cherenkov radiation is just god's way of telling you to slow down."
                                 Me
                       turing@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

john@acorn.co.uk (John Bowler) (08/04/90)

In article <9008011254.AA04550@sri-sparc> rush@CACFS.ARMY.MIL (David A. Rush) writes:
>Lisa:
>
>You probably won't be able to run MS Windows within X.  MS Windows,
>like many DOS programs, directly accesses the video hardware, making
>it virtually impossible to keep it inside someone else's window.
>(Although Desqview can do it, I think.)

This shouldn't be a problem.  Most multi-processing systems which are
supporting a DOS environment have to intercept accesses to the machine
hardware.  All the non-386 based DOS emulators have to emulate the
hardware anyway.  The only real problem is dealing with direct access to
the frame buffer of a VGA (or better) display - the processing overhead
involved in keeping the *real* screen up-to-date can get large.

>                                         You might have better luck using
>MS Windows running as an X window manager.  I believe there are
>a couple of these products out there in the real world (ie. for $$$).

It depends what you mean by X.  Having an MS Windows environment present
a conformant interface at the protocol level or the ICCCM level might be
difficult.  It seems like a far better idea to keep the nasty non-standardised,
grab the hardware and run DOS applications in a safe box on their own and
let the nice highly conformant extremely portable X applications look after
them.

John Bowler (jbowler@acorn.co.uk)

Oops, almost forgot the :-).

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) (08/08/90)

Simultask 3.0 is soon to be released and one of its features is support for
MS Windows 3.0 - I believe you will still need to execute windows with the
/r (for real mode).  As far as shrinking the image, so as not to take the
whole screen, I am stumped - you cannot exactly shrink it with an option to
the font size since it is graphical, and you cannot shrink a pixel...perhaps
there is an option to X11 to optimize/average the graphics?  BTW, OPENLOOK
is due for an update as well, probably (as I hear it) with the release of
UNIX 4.0.
|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    netcom!cmilono@apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|    Business:    cmilono@iliad.att.com                                    |
|"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere |
| in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." B.Watterson |