[net.news] Open letter to sol1!john

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (02/20/85)

I have sent the letter below to sol1!john in hopes of
reaching some agreement on the AA-Personal-in-net.jobs
matter.  I thought others might be interested in the
dialog.

To: ihnp4!akgua!sol1!john
Subject: Re: THE SOLUTION response to Headhunter flames

John,

> 1) Net.jobs is FOR posting jobs. This is what she is doing.

So far, no problem.

> 2) Only job openings are posted. (No candidates seeking jobs).

Again, no problem.  (in fact job seekers are encouraged to use
net.jobs, too).

> 3) Susan's fees are 100% client company paid. There are NO fees to the
>    people responding to Sue's postings.

Fine.  However:

> She is basicaly providing a free service for the benefit of people on the net.
> She does not court client companies by using Usenet. I am hard-pressed to
> find rational for the opinion that providing job opprotunities for people
> on the net, free of cost, is in anyway taking advantage of Usenet or those
> people.

The rational explanation is that this is advertising on a commercial
level.  I get tons of junk mail (via USNail) every week.  ALL FREE!
100% client-paid.  But its still advertising.  A policy of Usenet
is to avoid commercial advertising.

Here is a compromise, however:  if you really want to provide the
net with a service and not generate the conventional ads that
have been produced by AA so far, why not just list the job positions
and geographic locations -- without all the fanfare?  People will
know to write to sol1!sue if they want more info.

My concern is that -- while it is not a serious problem now --
permitting advertising of the sort we are now seeing from sol1
will be interpreted as "open season" for ads, and the network
will drown in them.  I am also not happy to support this sort
of advertising, as I'm sure AA can afford to pay for real ads
in commericial media.

I am interested in your comments on this matter.

Gordon A. Moffett
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam