[comp.windows.x] X11 app for SPARC/DECstation FTPable

brian@premise.ZONE1.COM (Brian Moran) (08/11/90)

SUBJECT: X11/Motif SPARC/DECstation application available for FTP
(This software is currently available on MIT's ATHENA as part of the mechanical
 engineering curriculum)

DesignView/UNIX is available for anonymous FTP from EDDIE.MIT.EDU
(18.62.0,6).  The files are located in the DesignView directory. The
file dv-SPARC.tar contains the SPARC executables and X11r4 for the
Sun SPARCstation, while dv-examples.tar.Z contains some sample files
for both versions.  The file dv-DECstation.tar contains the
DECstation 3100 files.

This version of DesignView is fully functional for at least 30 days
from the date of installation on your system.  During the
installation of DesignView on your machine, you will be given a
server code, which you must supply to Premise via our 800 number. You
will be given back an authorization key that will activate the
software on your machine and machines on your network.  If you are
installing on a network, please tell us that when you call so that we
can give you a code to activate multiple copies of DV.

If you have any questions/comments, you can contact Premise via email:

email:

	dv-unix@premise.zone1.com
	{..,mirror,mit-eddie}!premise!dv-unix

or more conventional means:

	Premise, Inc.
	Three Cambridge Center
	Cambridge, MA  02142
	(617) 225-0422
	(800) 888-7736

A brief description of DesignView follows:

{ this is file README.1st in the dv-SPARC.tar or dv-DECstation.tar archive }

	DesignView UNIX University/Industry Trial

DesignView can best be described as an engineering sketchpad.  It is a
tool for students, engineers, and designers to use to draw
geometry, add constraints and equations describing interactions and
behaviors, thereby constructing models of physical and mechanical
reality.  These models can be analyzed, changed, and optimized by
moving geometry or changing equations.  It is a true "what-if" tool
for engineering.

One of DesignView's strengths is its usability. DesignView uses X11 as its
graphical user interface foundation; some users never even open our
award-winning manual.  Engineers have learned DesignView in one day, and
have solved previously unsolvable problems the next.  DesignView is
also available for Microsoft Windows (under DOS) with a nearly identical
user interface.

{ the file continues... }

--
Brian K. Moran    N9ADG   { ...harvard!mit-eddie,...!mirror}!premise!brian
Premise, Inc.             brian@premise.zone1.com

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/13/90)

Grumpf (again....).  Please keep product annoucements in comp.newprod.

At most, for things of very widespread interest, a pointer to comp.newprod
might be posted in comp.windows.x.  This one doesn't even seem to be of
widespread interest.
				- Jim

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (08/13/90)

--

I was just about to post the same & wonder at the same time why this
for-cost software is being made available on a university machine over

mouse@SHAMASH.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (der Mouse) (08/13/90)

> Subject: X11 app for SPARC/DECstation FTPable

[As someone said, this belonged elsewhere.  But I have other comments.]

> DesignView/UNIX is available for anonymous FTP from EDDIE.MIT.EDU
> This version of DesignView is fully functional for at least 30 days
> from the date of installation on your system.  During the
> installation of DesignView on your machine, you will be given a
> server code, which you must supply to Premise via our 800 number.
> You will be given back an authorization key that will activate the
> software on your machine and machines on your network.

This strikes me as a bit strange.  If you're giving out these
"authorization key"s to anyone who bothers to ask, why have them at
all?

Oh, right, so the program will break in a month, by which time you can
have started charging.

How long do you expect the "authorization key" mechanism to last?  With
the stuff available for free, there's not even any legal reason to not
crack the key mechanism.  (As I understand Canadian law, that is.  I
certainly don't expect you could collect any damages if you won a suit
even in the US.  But I'm not a lawyer and don't begin to understand the
convoluted monstrosity that passes for a legal system down there, or
even the one we have up here.)

Grumpf.  I'm tempted to grab a copy and post the patch to crack it.
But I probably won't because it's not worth the bother for a
binary-only program that doesn't sound as though it'd be at all useful
to me anyway.  (There's also a slight risk I've misunderstood Canadian
law on the issue; I don't need the headache that could become.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu