[comp.windows.x] InterViews documentation

schmid@asterix.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (Georg Schmid) (08/08/90)

This question for sure has been asked for previously, but:
Is there any documentation for the c++/X11 class library InterViews ?

Of course I have the man pages, but I'm looking for some kind of
'Programming Manual', not a Reference Manual. I couldn't find
anything appropriate on 'interviews.stanford.edu'

Please answer by mail (thanks in advance).

Georg Schmid, ISD University of Stuttgart, W.-Germany
email: schmid@asterix.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (129.69.110.2)
voice: +49 711-685-2053
fax:   +49 711-685-3706

schmid@asterix.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (Georg Schmid) (08/13/90)

The following is a summary of answers to my request for an InterViews
``Programming Manual''.

I received numerous mails, in general saying ``I don't believe that
there is much more documentation than the man-pages, but please let
me know the results of your request ''.
So here it is:

mead!nxh@uccba.uc.edu (Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama) writes:
> Sorry, I haven't found anything either.  There are three papers
written by the
> Stanford team which may be helpful.
>
> 	Mark A. Linton, Paul R. Calder, and John M. Vlissides.  InterViews:
> 	C++ Graphical Interface Toolkit.
>
>	John M. Vlissides and Mark A. Linton.  Applyiying Object-Oriented
>	Design to Structured Graphics.
>
>	Mark A. Linton, John M. Vlissides, and Paul R. Calder.  Composing
>	User Interfaces with InterViews.
>
> I learned InterViews by looking at sample programs supplied with the
software
> distribution.  Right now I'm working on a project which is composed of
about
> 10,000 lines of C++ using InterViews.  At my compnay, information
about
> InterViews is passed from person to person -- not an ideal situation.

The papers mentioned above are available by anonymous ftp from
interviews.stanford.edu in ~ftp/pub/doc (compressed ps).

As a conclusion my 0.02 D-Mark opinion:
I think InterViews is a great idea, and it's obviously the only free
X11
class library, but it's a pity that there isn't a better documentation.
For me as an InterViews beginner it's pretty hard to learn how to do it
by studying examples, facing all these classes, subclasses and
overloaded
functions. Perhaps it's just a lack of personal genius that I don't
understand these examples (unless spending some weeks and covering my
screen with man-pages to find out about the relations).

_
Georg Schmid, ISD University of Stuttgart, W.-Germany
email: schmid@asterix.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (129.69.110.2)
voice: +49 711-685-2053
fax:   +49 711-685-3706
_

(At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his
thumb with a hammer.
		-- Marshall Lumsden)