[comp.windows.x] Desktop publishing for X

ben_wen@w20-575-98.world (Benson Wen) (08/09/90)

(Hmmm.  Lets see if this works.)

I'm looking into Desktop Publishing systems that will run under X, anyone?

(Please E-mail, since I'm a bum and don't read News enough.)

-Benson Wen

klute@heike-fbi.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug9.064602.23310@athena.mit.edu>, ben_wen@w20-575-98.world
(Benson Wen) writes:
>I'm looking into Desktop Publishing systems that will run under X,
anyone?

>(Please E-mail, since I'm a bum and don't read News enough.)

Oh no, please *post* such information! This is interesting for a lot of
other people, too - at least for me.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

eeidson@eng.AUburn.EDU (Eric Eidson) (08/09/90)

|> (Hmmm.  Lets see if this works.)
|>
|> I'm looking into Desktop Publishing systems that will run under X, anyone?
|>
|> (Please E-mail, since I'm a bum and don't read News enough.)
|>
|> -Benson Wen

Ok, I'm interested to so would anyone who responds, either post here or respond
to me also, thanks!

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Hunter Eidson                 | "I am the bringer...        |
| Auburn University             |  I am the knower...         |
| eeidson@eng.auburn.edu        |  I am the owner...          |
| (205)844-7675                 |  PSYCHOPOMPS...             |
| (404)394-6256                 |  THE SPARROWS ARE FLYING."  |
+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+
                 Stephen King -  The Dark Half

ppblais@bcars267.UUCP (Pierre P. Blais) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug9.064602.23310@athena.mit.edu>,
ben_wen@w20-575-98.world (Benson Wen) writes:

> (Hmmm.  Lets see if this works.)
>
> I'm looking into Desktop Publishing systems that will run under X, anyone?
>
> (Please E-mail, since I'm a bum and don't read News enough.)
>
> -Benson Wen

Other people requested a post.  Well, here it goes:

    The Publisher runs under X11R4 (and previous) and Sun W/Ss. It may
run on other platforms.  You can get more information from:

    ArborText Inc.
    535 West William St.
    Ann Arbor, MI 48103

    (313) 996-3566
    help@arbortext.com
    uunet!umix!arbortext!help

And now, for the disclaimer:

    The Publisher is about halfway between a WYSIWYG and a tag-based
interface.  This is very useful since your document is never automa-
tically formatted for a specific printer or paper format.  A previewer
allows you to look at the document on your W/S before/instead of prin-
ting it.

    On the other hand, it is quite buggy although it can still be used
reasonably well (the bugs don't kill what I'm doing too often).

    Over all, once the bugs are fixed, it should prove to be a very
good product.

---------
Pierre P. Blais | UUCP: ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars305!ppblais  | Phone: (613)
763-4270
BNR Ltd.        | UUCP: ..uunet!bnrgate!ppblais!ppblais   | FAX:   (613)
763-2626
---------
My opinions are mine only.  BNR's opinions are theirs.  Your opinions are yours.

mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug10.193250.16544@bcars267> ppblais@bcars267.UUCP (Pierre P. Blais) writes:
> [...]
>    The Publisher is about halfway between a WYSIWYG and a tag-based
>interface.  This is very useful since your document is never automa-
>tically formatted for a specific printer or paper format.  A previewer
>allows you to look at the document on your W/S before/instead of prin-
>ting it.
>
>    On the other hand, it is quite buggy although it can still be used
>reasonably well (the bugs don't kill what I'm doing too often).

How about something that isn't buggy and is FREE.  The combination of
TeX and xdvi will apparently do the same thing, is solid, and free.
If it's of interest TeX is also available for the DOS PC, including
a nice previewer.

TeX is available from labrea.stanford.edu (ftp), or via tape and mail
for U of Washington.  Xdvi is available on expo or gatekeeper.dec.com.

Mike
--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!tektronix!puffin!raven!mike

murthy@algron.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (08/12/90)

mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) writes:

>How about something that isn't buggy and is FREE.  The combination of
>TeX and xdvi will apparently do the same thing, is solid, and free.
>If it's of interest TeX is also available for the DOS PC, including
>a nice previewer.

>TeX is available from labrea.stanford.edu (ftp), or via tape and mail
>for U of Washington.  Xdvi is available on expo or gatekeeper.dec.com.

And if you use the VorTeX Elisp macros, and structure your document so
that all your definitions (e.g. \def, \newcommand, \hyphenation) are
in the LaTeX prologue (i.e. before \begin{document}), VorTeX has a
little function which will grab the current region in your edit
buffer, slap it into a standalone LaTeX file, and LaTeX it.  So you
get the ability to edit a little piece of text, and see what it looks
like, on-screen, quickly (without re-formatting your entire document).

It's a bit clumsy, but it gets the job done with a couple of
keystrokes and a mouse click (to place the xdvi).

With a little more hacking on the code it could be really transparent.

--chet--

ben_wen@W20-575-103.world (Benson Wen) (08/14/90)

Okay here's the scoop I got when I posted this:

ppblais@bcars267.UUCP (Pierre P. Blais) sez:

|>  Other people requested a post.  Well, here it goes:
|>
|>      The Publisher runs under X11R4 (and previous) and Sun W/Ss. It may
|>  run on other platforms.  You can get more information from:
|>
|>      ArborText Inc.
|>      535 West William St.
|>      Ann Arbor, MI 48103
|>
|>      (313) 996-3566
|>      help@arbortext.com
|>      uunet!umix!arbortext!help

(disclamer spew deleted . . .)

mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) has to say:

|>  In article <1990Aug10.193250.16544@bcars267> ppblais@bcars267.UUCP (Pierre P. Blais) writes:
|>  > [...]
|>  >    The Publisher is about halfway between a WYSIWYG and a tag-based

(see the stuff above . . .)
|>  How about something that isn't buggy and is FREE.  The combination of
|>  TeX and xdvi will apparently do the same thing, is solid, and free.
|>  If it's of interest TeX is also available for the DOS PC, including
|>  a nice previewer.
|>
|>  TeX is available from labrea.stanford.edu (ftp), or via tape and mail
|>  for U of Washington.  Xdvi is available on expo or gatekeeper.dec.com.
|>
|>  Mike

That's a good idea, except it'll never do for scanned in pix (a lot of
them . . . its for a yearbook), which is what I need it for.

murthy@algron.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) mentions

(see above for recap . . .)

|>  And if you use the VorTeX Elisp macros, and structure your document so
|>  that all your definitions (e.g. \def, \newcommand, \hyphenation) are
|>  in the LaTeX prologue (i.e. before \begin{document}), VorTeX has a
|>  little function which will grab the current region in your edit
|>  buffer, slap it into a standalone LaTeX file, and LaTeX it.  So you
|>  get the ability to edit a little piece of text, and see what it looks
|>  like, on-screen, quickly (without re-formatting your entire document).
|>
|>  It's a bit clumsy, but it gets the job done with a couple of
|>  keystrokes and a mouse click (to place the xdvi).
|>
|>  With a little more hacking on the code it could be really transparent.

and
tcs!tiger!bobmcc@uunet.UU.NET (Bob McCormick) writes:

|>I have been looking into this recently, and there are two that I
|>am somewhat familiar with: FrameMaker and Interleaf.
|>
|>FrameMaker version 1.3 is available for X now.  FrameMaker 2.1X, which has
|>a lot more features, is in Beta Test right now, and should be available
|>in September.  FrameMaker has a lot of features, a nice interface, and
|>seems not too hard to use, assuming you've worked with another DTP
|>system or something like Microsoft Word.  FrameMaker provides a great
|>demo tape, which has a fully-functional version of FM, except that "save" is
|>disabled. E-mail for more info: comments@frame.com . Address
|>Frame Technology Corporation, 1010 Rincon Circle, San Jose, CA 95131.
|>(I don't know all the platforms supported.  Sun is definite (that's what
|>I use), Apollo running DOMAIN/IX and X possible, HP probable.)
|>
|>Interleaf is not available on X at this time.  I heard January 1991 as
|>a target date (not confirmed).  Interleaf has been around longer, and is
|>more complex, and more powerful in some areas.  Interleaf's graphics editor
|>is more powerful, but harder to use for simple drawings.  Interleaf includes
|>some sort of configuration management system for its documents; I don't have
|>any details.  Interleaf runs on Apollo AEGIS/DM and Sun SunView, and others.
|>
|>I have not done a complete comparison, but I like Framemaker better.  One
|>of the tech writers in my company uses both, and he prefers FrameMaker.
|>Others are using Interleaf.
|>
|>(P.S.  FrameMaker also runs on the Macintosh, and the output files are
|>is completely transferable.)

Thanks everyone!