[comp.windows.x] Usage of C vs. Ada for X window applications

dmb@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (David Berstein) (08/13/90)

I'm presently researching the trade-offs between using the C or Ada language
for applications which will utilize the X window system.  Any references to
articles, statistics, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

chapman@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Carol Chapman) (08/14/90)

Hi David,

You asked about developing X applications in C vs. Ada.  I developed X
applications using C for 2 years and have now been doing it in Ada for
the last 5 months.  Ada is not a bad language, some aspects of it I
really like, but there are no standard Ada bindings.  This creates a
*lot* of headaches.  Plus, if you want to write your own widget, you
really *have* to do it in C, as far as I know.  Not only did I switch
from C to Ada when I moved to another group, but this new group is
using VMS rather than UNIX.  That has also been a headache, although
it has gotten a lot better now that we have the latest version of
DECwindows and are starting to use Motif.

My recommendation would be to stick with C, but use lots of comments
to help those who may have to maintain it later on.  Ada is "do-able",
but I really don't recommend it unless the X Consortium recognizes a
standard Ada binding.

carol

Carol Chapman                                        Tel. (415) 423-7876
Livermore National Laboratory                        chapman@lll-crg.llnl.gov
P. O. Box 808, L-572            "Are you in charge here?"
Livermore, CA  94550            "No, but I'm full of ideas!"  -- Dr. Who

karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) (08/15/90)

In article <6271@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> dmb@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (David Berstein) writes:

>I'm presently researching the trade-offs between using the C or Ada language
>for applications which will utilize the X window system.  Any references to
>articles, statistics, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using Ada with Verdix VADS 6.0 on a microVAX II/Ultrix 3.0 and the
SAIC bindings to Xlib just fine.  I wish I had a faster computer and more
memory...

-- Karl --

Disclaimer: I make money selling products and services to companies involved
with Ada, including Verdix.

Karl A. Nyberg				karl@grebyn.com
Post Office Box 497			Grebyn Corporation
Vienna, VA 22183-0497 USA		+1-703-281-2194