[comp.windows.x] Viewing Postscript on X

ssdken@watson.Claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) (08/14/90)

I have tried xps, but it doesn't work too well.  Are
there any other tools (PD or commercial) that allow me to view
Postscript files under X11R4??

	Thanks,

				Ken Nelson
				Principal Engineer
				Software Systems Design
				3627 Padua Av.
				Claremont, CA 91711
				(714) 624-3402

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/14/90)

In article <8100@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, ssdken@watson.Claremont.EDU (Ken
Nelson) writes:
|> I have tried xps, but it doesn't work too well.  Are
|> there any other tools (PD or commercial) that allow me to view
|> Postscript files under X11R4??

Some venders are shipping Adobe's Display PostScript extension to
X.  Most of these products include very good PostScript viewers.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (08/15/90)

ssdken@watson.Claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) writes:
>I have tried xps, but it doesn't work too well.  Are
>there any other tools (PD or commercial) that allow me to view
>Postscript files under X11R4??

xps users will probably find ralpage
(expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/ralpage.tar.Z) a significant step up.  On a
DS3100, I found it faster than dxpsview (the Display PS based
thingmajig) for the demos I tried.

Note that using a PostScript previewer to preview either TeX or troff
output (which is frequently what people ask for PS previewers for) is
not a good idea unless you have embedded PostScript in the document.
Specialized TeX or troff previewers invariably do a better job. (xdvi,
xtex or xditview, xproof, xtroff).

	Mark.