[comp.windows.x] xterm problems

michael@parns.nsc.com (Michael C. Wagnitz) (11/21/89)

In article <8911181646.AA23541@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

> The R3 xterm is buggy, as are numerous other R3 clients that use an illegal
> do-not-propagate-mask value.
>                      The MIT R4 server will similarly be offended, although
> the R4 server provides a "bug compatibility" mode to allow broken clients
> to continue to operate.

Do you suppose it would be possible for someone 'in the know' to publish here
a list of known coding fax paus typically created as a result of using the
existing R[23] client sources as reference on 'how to do' X11 applications?

Such a list would aid many of us in repairing our applications for use under
an R4 ICCM-compliant window manager, et.al.  Especially useful would be any
examples of 'illegal' coding practices seen by the consortium to cause
potential failure when using a fully compliant window manager.

Thanks in advance for any considerations.

willey@udel.edu (Edward V Willey) (08/15/90)

If I am running X and rlogin into another machine with X capabilities, I
can pop up another xterm and the term is correctly configured.  However,
if I go to an un-Xed machine, there is no way to pop up another window
and I can't seem to be able to correctly configure the current window
correctly. It always seems to believe it has 60some-odd lines in it.
This is after I set the TERM to xterm.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

	-Ed Willey (willey@udel.edu)

willey@cis.udel.edu (Edward V Willey) (08/15/90)

I should add that I tried doing 'stty line 30' (30 being current size of the
window) but that didn't solve the problem.

	-Ed Willey (willey@udel.edu)