[comp.windows.x] HP widgets

jgy@homxc.UUCP (J.YOUNG) (06/08/88)

Is there anyone out there who can either send me the latest HP
widgets or make them available for uucp?  If not, is there an
offical distribution method? Thanks in advance.

John Young
AT&T-BL.
201-615-4412

turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) (06/08/88)

a few questions:

1) what is the 'latest' version of HP widgets and how do I know if I
have it ?

2) is there a mailing list for HP widget users? wanna start one? I'll
volunteer to host the list....

--
Don't you think that Mahitabel is a bit too toujour gay? - Archie
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (06/10/88)

There currently isn't an explicit list for users of the HP widgets.  Generally,
we try to let discussions start on one of the main lists (xpert in this case)
and then make a new list if the traffic starts getting heavy.

Jim Fulton
MIT X Consortium

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (04/26/89)

This has probably been asked before, but how does one deal with
the HP widgets?
I believe I have the latest patches (Xhp.patch.works), and there is
an Xt directory with some Intrinsic stuff in it.  Does one replace
the standard Xt files with these?

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

We don't need no stinking signatures!

velayos@bosco.dit.upm.es (M. del Mar Palazuelos) (06/01/89)

We have worked with H-P workstations using hp widgets (Manual Port Number
5959-6155 (6th July 1988).
At this moment we want to transfer the application to another hardware.
We have got hp widgets sources by the MIT Release III cartridge (version
 9 August 1988) and have observed these problems:
	-. There is not XwPulldown Widget.
	-. There is not Shadow in Widgets.

 *** We would like the sources of the hp widgets that we had used before
 *** We would lide to know the reasons of these changes with restrictions.
 *** We would like to know if there are more restrictions.
					thanks for all.

u-mlinds%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Mark Lindsey) (06/03/89)

Would some kind soul e-mail me instructions for obtaining the latest version
of the HP Widget set, including docs?  We don't seem to have it anywhere
around here.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark L. Lindsey                   u-mlinds@ug.utah.edu
374 E 1550 S                      University of Utah
Orem, UT  84058  801-225-0948     Salt Lake City, UT

scott@cfi.com (Scott Boyd) (06/06/89)

In article <257@goya.dit.upm.es> you write:

>We have worked with H-P workstations using hp widgets (Manual Port Number
>5959-6155 (6th July 1988).
>At this moment we want to transfer the application to another hardware.
>We have got hp widgets sources by the MIT Release III cartridge (version
> 9 August 1988) and have observed these problems:
>	-. There is not XwPulldown Widget.
>	-. There is not Shadow in Widgets.
>
> *** We would like the sources of the hp widgets that we had used before
> *** We would lide to know the reasons of these changes with restrictions.
> *** We would like to know if there are more restrictions.
>					thanks for all.

The sources to the widget set with shadowing is not part of MIT Release 3
set. HP Legal decided to keep the "3-D" aspects of the HP widget set
proprietary.  You might be able to license the source from
HP directly -- talk with them.

The XwPulldown widget uses an Apple Patent that HP licensed specifically. HP
could not include this widget in the PD release without violating their
license agreement with Apple. And they are already in enough trouble with
Apple :-)

There is a whole story around these decisions, but basically it comes down
to this.

HP product is not the same as PD MIT versions. There is no way to get the
delta to bring the MIT versions up to HP product specs without licensing
source from HP.

Good Luck.

--
+----------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------+
| Scott Boyd           | "Still searching for an    | Commodity Futures, Inc. |

larsens@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) (08/12/89)

Where can I get the sources for the Hp Widget Set, Xw?  I can FTP, but
would prefer to send a tape or order a tape.  I am using a DECstation 3100
if that makes a difference.

Scott

| Scott Larsen			| The statements expressed here are the        |
| larsens@urubu.cs.orst.edu	| opinions of myself and not the computer's.   |
| Oregon State Univeristy	| "Bring us . . . a shrubbery!" - M.P.F.C.     |

harish@csl.ncsu.edu (Harish Hiriyannaiah) (09/12/89)

	Can somebody tell me where the latest version of HP widgets is
	archived? I need it really badly.

	Also, I am having problems with the ScrollBar widget. I am using
	is to display images, and I have an SRaster widget as the child
	of the ScrollBar widget. When the static raster is smaller than or
	equal to the Scrollbar window, and I click on the arrows, I get a
	seg fault, core dump. I suspect the problem is linked with the
	version of HP widgets I have. I dont get the core dump when I use
	the slide bar. The info I get from dbxing on the core is

		main()
		XtMainLoop()
		XtDispatchEvent()
		DispatchEvent()
		_XtTranslateEvent()
		Arrow.Select()
		XtCallCallbacks()
		_XtCallCallbacks()
		XwArrowReleaseCallback()  | Note that it is failing here,
		XtRemoveTimeOut()         | on XtRemoveTimeOut().

	My env is a vaxstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.1, and I compiled the
	HP widget library with the header files in <mit/X11>.

harish pu. hi.				harish@ecelet.ncsu.edu
					harish@ecebucolix.ncsu.edu

chn@alpha.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (09/28/89)

If anyone has experience installing the hp widget set under
Apple's X product on A/UX 1.1 (or under the MIT tape distribution
build for A/UX 1.1), I would appreciate getting some help at the
email address below.

--

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU (09/29/89)

I am trying to build the HP widgets (Xhp.R3) on a DECstation 3100 under
ultrix 3.1 and DECwindows 2.1. When making Manager.o I get the following error:

cc -c -O -I.. -I/usr/include   Manager.c
Fatal error in: /usr/lib/uopt1.31 Segmentation fault
*** Error code 1

Is there a work arround for this? Any hints as to how to get these built?

Many Thanks.

--Bruce
Bruce M. Cameron                    bmc@bru.mayo.edu
Medical Sciences 1-14               (507) 284-3288
Mayo Foundation                     WD9CKW
Rochester, MN 55905

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (09/29/89)

In article <8909282124.AA00286@mycroft.mayo.edu> bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU writes:

   I am trying to build the HP widgets (Xhp.R3) on a DECstation 3100 under
   ultrix 3.1 and DECwindows 2.1. When making Manager.o I get the following error:

   cc -c -O -I.. -I/usr/include   Manager.c
   Fatal error in: /usr/lib/uopt1.31 Segmentation fault
   *** Error code 1

   Is there a work arround for this? Any hints as to how to get these built?

   Many Thanks.

   --Bruce
   Bruce M. Cameron                    bmc@bru.mayo.edu
   Medical Sciences 1-14               (507) 284-3288
   Mayo Foundation                     WD9CKW
   Rochester, MN 55905

Yes, dump the -O option to cc and it will compile fine (I told DEC
about that one around 3 months ago, after trying to bring up the HP
widgets on our 3100s, I don't know if there is a fix).

--
			Dana Chee
			Bellcore

emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (06/14/90)

Hi XWorld,
I am looking for the HP widget set referenced in Young's book so that I can
run his examples etc... etc..
Pls can anybody tell me where I can ftp this from?
E-Mail mucho appreciated!!

--ThanX
--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
Remember! It does'nt matter if you win or lose, as long as you win!

6500chng@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (B. N. Cheng) (08/16/90)

I was referred to this newsgroup about the following: I'd like
to know if the HP widgets for X windows is pd or not, and if so
is there an ftp source for it. I believe it's contained in Xw.h.

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (08/16/90)

You can get a version of the HP widgets that works with R3/R4 from
contrib/toolkits/Xw in the R4 distribution, or as Xw.tar.Z from your
friendly neighbourhood X archive site.  (consult the Frequently Asked
Questions for a list of archive sites)