[comp.windows.x] are /usr/include/X11/*I.h files standard?

aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) (08/16/90)

I'm trying to install some PD software that wants to include
"IntrinsicI.h".  At our site, about half of the systems have
this include file, the others do not.  For example, I find it
on our Decstation 3100 X distribution, but not on our HP-9000/350.
I suppose that I can copy over the missing *I.h files, but why
aren't they a standard part of every X distribution.  Being an
X novice, I don't understand whats going on.

Please email to me, as I cannot keep up with the enormous amount
of traffic on this newsgroup.  Much, much thanks in advance!!

dan haug

--
Internet: haug@austin.lockheed.com
UUCP:     ut-emx!lad-shrike!aihaug

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph Swick) (08/16/90)

In a word, no.  The *I.h files in the Xt source directory are
considered internal to the Xt implementation.  None of the MIT
releases have ever installed these files into /usr/include/X11.
None of the public, standard interfaces are described in {Xt}*I.h
files (modulo possible bugs of course :-).

Any application that is depending upon them may be using some
implementation-specific information.

asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) (08/17/90)

In article <352@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
>I'm trying to install some PD software that wants to include
>"IntrinsicI.h".  At our site, about half of the systems have
>this include file, the others do not...
>I suppose that I can copy over the missing *I.h files, but why
>aren't they a standard part of every X distribution.

IntrinsicI.h is an internal header file for the Xt Intrinsics.  It should not
be being used by any software, as its contents can change any time without
notice.  It should probably never have make it into include/X11 in any
distributions, but it did in some of them (obviously).

	-paul asente

New address!	asente@adobe.com	...decwrl!adobe!asente