[comp.windows.x] Joining Open Windows 2.0 and MIT X.

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (08/16/90)

Hello,

We have had the X11R4 from expo installed on our Sun systems and have been
keeping them current with all of the patches.

We have recently received Open Windows 2.0 from Sun.  It includes a number
of very nice tools.

Now I am faced with the problem of integrating MIT X and Open Windows and
I'm wondering what others are doing about this.

Here are some of the questions I have.  Any and all suggestions would be
most gratefully accepted.

1.  Is it reasonable to copy (or link) the libraries in /usr/lib to the
    lib directory in OPENWINHOME?  Presumably the versions I have with
    the latest MIT patches are newer and better than the ones that came
    with OW 2.0.  And presumably as new fixes come out of MIT they will
    continue to improve.  I've tried these links (in a personal copy of
    OW 2.0 on my workstation) and this seems to work .  In fact, it prevents
    many of our existing X applications from complaining about library
    versions (I can keep LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined without any conflicts).
    Are there any hidden gotchas?

2.  Assuming that there is no desire to run sunview or news applications
    would it be reasonable/better/faster to run the X server in /usr/bin/X11
    instead of xnews?  The xnews program is more than twice the size of the
    Xsun executable and presumably does a lot of work to allow for NeWS and
    sunview.  Again, I have made this change personally and it seems to
    work fine.  I have not been able to make any real performance evaluations
    though.  Note that I'm not talking in this case about replacing xnews
    (since some of our users presumably want sunview and or NeWS apps).
    Rather, I have made a link to /usr/bin/X11/Xsun and run that with the
    -server flag.

3.  Are the libraries and such shipped with OW 2.0 identical to those which
    will presumably reappear on expo?  Assuming that I compile the expo
    sources (without deleting my root directory :-) would it be reasonable
    to replace the libraries in the Sun release with the newer (and better?)
    ones?

4.  Are there any other suggestions for improving the integration of MIT X
    and OW 2.0?

Thanks in advance.
--Frank
--
Frank W. Peters        Systems Programmer     Computing Center & Services
fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu  Peters@MsState.Bitnet  (601)325-2942

fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (08/16/90)

>1.  Is it reasonable to copy (or link) the libraries in /usr/lib to the
>    lib directory in OPENWINHOME?  Presumably the versions I have with
>    the latest MIT patches are newer and better than the ones that came
>    with OW 2.0.  And presumably as new fixes come out of MIT they will
>    continue to improve.  I've tried these links (in a personal copy of
>    OW 2.0 on my workstation) and this seems to work .  In fact, it prevents
>    many of our existing X applications from complaining about library
>    versions (I can keep LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined without any conflicts).
>    Are there any hidden gotchas?

	We do the same thing.  Everything, so far, works fine.

>2.  Assuming that there is no desire to run sunview or news applications
>    would it be reasonable/better/faster to run the X server in /usr/bin/X11
>    instead of xnews?  The xnews program is more than twice the size of the
>    Xsun executable and presumably does a lot of work to allow for NeWS and
>    sunview.  Again, I have made this change personally and it seems to
>    work fine.  I have not been able to make any real performance evaluations
>    though.  Note that I'm not talking in this case about replacing xnews
>    (since some of our users presumably want sunview and or NeWS apps).
>    Rather, I have made a link to /usr/bin/X11/Xsun and run that with the
>    -server flag.

	You could bring up xnews with the env variable X11ONLY set.  That
	will, essentially, bring xnews up as a garden variety X server
	and not load any NeWS-ish things into the server.  OW 2.0 server
	is very fast.  Basically the speed we all saw going from vanilla
	X11R3 to R4  is more than obtained from OW 1.X to 2.0 (...or
	perhaps OW 1.X was sooooo slow....;-)  On our network, we mix
	X11R4 and OpenWindows with very minor problems.

	We use primarily X software...but the NeWS stuff is so cool.

>4.  Are there any other suggestions for improving the integration of MIT X
>    and OW 2.0?

	There are some weird-ities running OW binaries on a R4 server.  Like
	OW's (2.0 that is) shelltool barfs quite frequently (we don't really
	care since we prefer xterm), some other binaries (mostly game-ish
	things) lock the server (or olwm)... but all in all, every thing
	meshes pretty well for us.

Frank G.

+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|Frank D. Greco - Consultant        |                                   |
|                                   |                                   |
|On Assignment at:                  |Office:                            |
| Shearson Lehman Brothers          | Crossroads Technologies, Inc.     |
| World Financial Center, 11th Floor| PO Box 530                        |
| New York City, NY 10007           | Fanwood, NJ 07023                 |
|                                   |                                   |
| email: fgreco@shearson.com        | email: frank5@mars.njit.edu       |
| voice: (212) 528-6122             | voice: (201)-754-7820             |
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

My comments reflect my own opinions, not my clients.

salzman%gaucho@RAND.ORG (Isaac) (08/17/90)

>bu.edu!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!ra!tzu!fwp1@bloom
>-beacon.mit.edu (Frank Peters) writes:
>
>Here are some of the questions I have.  Any and all suggestions would be
>most gratefully accepted.

Hiya. We've been running a mixed OpenWindows (1.0, 1.0.1, 2.0beta, 2.0) and
X11R4 environment for quite some time. I've written some shell scripts and
csh aliases to that are used here at RAND to deal with the mixed
environment as well as provide a friendlier front end to xinit for people
that have never used X before (we have a lot of SunView users that are just
starting into X). You can anonymous ftp them from expo.lcs.mit.edu as
contrib/sun-xaliases.shar.Z (they've been there since June, and I just
updated it today). Here's how I deal with some of the problems you've
mentioned:

>1.  Is it reasonable to copy (or link) the libraries in /usr/lib to the
>lib directory in OPENWINHOME?  Presumably the versions I have with
>the latest MIT patches are newer and better than the ones that came
>with OW 2.0.  And presumably as new fixes come out of MIT they will
>continue to improve.  I've tried these links (in a personal copy of
>OW 2.0 on my workstation) and this seems to work .  In fact, it prevents
>many of our existing X applications from complaining about library
>versions (I can keep LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined without any conflicts).
>Are there any hidden gotchas?

You can link things in there if you like, it shouldn't be a problem. I set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to search the X11R4 lib directory first, then
$OPENWINHOME/lib. The OW2 shared libX11 has a higher version number than
the X11R4 version. To deal with that I just made a sym-link in the X11R4
lib directory: libX11.so.4.3 -> libX11.so.4.2, and that'll keep ld.so from
complaining. I prefer that to trying to keep everything in one spot. The
fewer sym-links I make, the better! :-)

>2.  Assuming that there is no desire to run sunview or news applications
>would it be reasonable/better/faster to run the X server in /usr/bin/X11
>instead of xnews?

I run the xnews server all the time. Give pageview, the NeWS PostScript
previewer, a try sometime. They've done quite a nice job on it! Sometimes
running SunView programs can be very useful. It's especially cool if you're
debugging X applications with dbx or gdb and setting break points durring
pointer grabs. You can start up a SunView cmdtool and run dbx in there.
Since SunView app's are completely independant, the pointer grab won't
effect the SunView window (whereas if you tried this in an xterm you would
lock up the server and have to kill the process from another machine).

I set up our scripts/aliases so people can run which ever they choose. On a
Sun 3 with limited memory (< 8meg), you probably want to run the R4 server.
On a SPARCstation, xnews and the R4 server run at about the same speed (if
you have a GX, xnews is probably faster).

>3.  Are the libraries and such shipped with OW 2.0 identical to those which
>will presumably reappear on expo?  Assuming that I compile the expo
>sources (without deleting my root directory :-) would it be reasonable
>to replace the libraries in the Sun release with the newer (and better?)
>ones?

The XView source distribution presumably has some bug fixes that aren't in
the OW2 binary distribution. You can replace the OW2 lib's with the ones
you build from source if you like....

>4.  Are there any other suggestions for improving the integration of MIT X
>and OW 2.0?

Fonts can be a hassle. If you've got Andrew or xtex installed you'll need
to convert the Andrew and xtex fonts to xnews format. It would be nice if
xnews could use .snf fonts. Converting the bdf fonts is pretty simple
though. You run convertfont on the bdf files and then bldfamily on the
directory that contains the output from convertfont. Then you use xset to
add that stuff to your font path as you normally would. Check the man pages
for details.

Pick up sun-xaliases.shar.Z and check the README file for more MIT X and
OW2 integration issues. :-) Ciao!

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (08/17/90)

In article <9008161814.AA19815@gaucho.rand.org> salzman%gaucho@RAND.ORG (Isaac) writes:

   Fonts can be a hassle [with OpenWindows]. If you've got Andrew [...]
   installed you'll need to convert the Andrew [...] fonts to xnews format.

You can ftp the Andrew fonts, compiled for xnews, from expo.lcs.mit.edu,
contrib/andrew/AndrewFontsForOW.tar.Z, 226061 bytes.  I've tried them with
OW 1.0 and 2.0.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (08/17/90)

From article <9008161357.AA19858@islanders.>, by fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco):
> 	You could bring up xnews with the env variable X11ONLY set.  That
> 	will, essentially, bring xnews up as a garden variety X server
> 	and not load any NeWS-ish things into the server.  OW 2.0 server

I've been told (and checked it by running with and without) that
for OW2.0, the X11ONLY variable is no longer needed or even
looked at (and has no effect on server size).

/dev/tom

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than