[comp.windows.x] building OpenLook Version 2

brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (08/18/90)

A word or warning to anyone building OpenLook Version 2 from the sources.
If you have OpenLook Version 1 installed move the olgx directory in
/usr/include to something else, like olgx.v1.  The makefiles that are
created put -I/usr/include before the -I for the new olgx include files.
If you are installing the system in a directory other than the default,
which is a good idea when building it for the first time, the old include
files aren't overwritten by the new ones and get included instead of the
new ones.  This causes some odd syntax errors.  So, save yourself a few
hours of frustration and check for old olgx include files laying around.
--
Too bad the universe doesn't run in a segmented environment with
protected memory. -- Wiz from "Wizards Bane" by Rick Cook

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (08/18/90)

In article <1990Aug17.195418.20478@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) writes:
>A word or warning to anyone building OpenLook Version 2 from the sources.
>If you have OpenLook Version 1 installed move the olgx directory in
>/usr/include to something else, like olgx.v1.

I think the same may be true for /usr/include/xview, or are the xview
sources dependent on themselves?

>                                               The makefiles that are
>created put -I/usr/include before the -I for the new olgx include files.
>If you are installing the system in a directory other than the default,
>which is a good idea when building it for the first time, the old include
>files aren't overwritten by the new ones and get included instead of the
>new ones.  This causes some odd syntax errors.  So, save yourself a few
>hours of frustration and check for old olgx include files laying around.

This seems to be a problem in imake/Imake.{tmpl,rules} rather then
XView.  The -I/usr/include is added when you use -DUseInstalled but
I think that this is a mistake in implementation.  Don't you think
that the rules should be set up so that -I/usr/include is the *last*
-I directive on the command line, rather than the first?  This problem
is going to hit every toolkit that is constructed in such a fashion
(i.e., you are building >1 library and the later builds are dependent
on #include's from previous builds).

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |