[comp.windows.x] Problems with Makeing XView2.0 on a SUN 3

apple@nprdc.navy.mil (Jim Apple) (08/16/90)

	I'm having some major problems with XView 2.0.  The Make World
	and make install completed without error but when I try and
	make the clients.  I either get "ld: Undefined symbol's"  or
	on the clients that do compile they seg fault. ( clock etc .. )

	My configuration is SUN 3 OS 4.1 X11R4-patch level 14
	( no openwindows )

	Below are examples of the make output and trying to
	run the clock program.

	I've also had alot of problem, trying to tell the imake stuff
	to install xview in /usr/[include,lib,bin]/X11/*.  I've tried
	DESTDIR=' ', but it still installs in usr_latest. ??

	Any Help would be great

	Thanks

Make Clients
------------
rm -f textedit
cc -o textedit textedit.o -O  -lxview -lolgx  -lX11
ld: Undefined symbol
   _xv_decode_drop
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `textedit'
Current working directory /tmp_mnt/vol/X11/X11R4/contrib/toolkits/xview2/clients/textedit

./clock
------------
apple@seashore$ ./clock
XView warning: obj 0x34bdc bad attribute Attr pkg= 79, id= 30, cardinality= 1 (0
x4f1e0a01)
XView warning: obj 0x3441c bad attribute Attr pkg= 79, id= 30, cardinality= 1 (0
x4f1e0a01)
XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer) xv_set
XView warning: Notifier error: Unknown client
XView warning: obj 0x35aa4 bad attribute Attr pkg= 82, id= 15, cardinality= 1 (0
x520f0901)
Segmentation fault
	Jim Apple 			apple@nprdc.navy.mil
	WB1DOG				...}ucsd!nprdc!apple

antony@george.lbl.gov (Antony A. Courtney) (08/17/90)

Unfortunately, I can't offer any help, just some comisseration.

I had a similar problem with XView2.0 on a Sun-4, no less.  I followed all the
instructions, up to the point where it said to do the Make Clients.  In my
anxiousness, however, I figured that since the libraries were already
installed, I'd just relink my own image analysis application with the new
libraries, so that I could see this new '3-d' look Sun seems so proud of.

And it compiled fine.

And then I ran it, and got about 10 messages saying very ambiguous things
like: xv_set: Invalid parameter attribute (object not a pointer), or some
such nonsense, and then an error from the X library when the toolkit attempted
to create a GC, and then my application got a SEGV and promptly dumped core.

Determined not to give up, I went back and tried to do the Make Clients and
continue with the installation as instructed.  I got the same error messages
with the _xv_decode_drop symbol, and also the same result when I tried to
run the clock....

Disappointed by now, I went back and relinked my app. with the old faithful
version of XView we had.  Compiled and ran fine.  And given that the interface
I am using is GUIDE generated, and the fact that the new clock and the other
clients distributed with this release also bombed, I think there are some
serious problems here....

I'm a bit amused really.  I have been programming XView applications since it
was in a primordial, pre-pre-alpha state and the toolkit was not called XView,
but rather View2.  I found this latest name kind of funny because XView2 means
the name has made a full circle.  Looks like they even brought back that same
level of functionality that View2 had.... :-P :-(

Nice job, folks.  I realize you are anxious to get things released, and show
off that new "3-d" look which seems so all-important to you, but please verify
that release distributions WORK before distributing them.  I spent from about
8 until noon or 1 trying to get things installed, now a complete waste of my
time....

BTW: We are running SunOS 4.1Beta on a 4/280.

				antony

Antony A. Courtney                                        antony@george.lbl.gov
Advanced Development Group                           ucbvax!csam.lbl.gov!antony
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory                                     (415) 486-6692

ekrell@ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) (08/17/90)

Well, I built Xview2 on a sun-4 and I encountered a problem the first
time I tried to run the binaries because I still had the old Xview
libraries around and the binaries were being linked with those instead
of the new libraries.

I removed all the old Xview libraries, header files, etc. that I could
find on our system and rebuilt all the Xview2 source and it's now
running OK.

This is on a 4/490 running 4.0.3

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) (08/18/90)

In article <6525@helios.ee.lbl.gov> antony@george.lbl.gov (Antony A. Courtney) writes:
>I'm a bit amused really.  I have been programming XView applications since it
>was in a primordial, pre-pre-alpha state and the toolkit was not called XView,
>but rather View2.  I found this latest name kind of funny because XView2 means
>the name has made a full circle.  Looks like they even brought back that same
>level of functionality that View2 had.... :-P :-(

You might be a bit less amused to find that the name is NOT XView2; it's
XView, and the version is 2.0. If it doesn't build from scratch at the
first release and work perfectly on every piece of hardware known to man,
for heaven's sake, give the people a break. Writing imakefiles and setting
up a source release distribution is a gargantuan job, especially for a piece
of software the size of XView. I was actually pretty impressed with the
quality of the release, and I'm sure most of the little glitches in the build
process will be worked out eventually.

	-Doug

Doug Cook
Video Group, Advanced Systems Division