[comp.windows.x] InterViews vs. Xt

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (08/03/90)

Here is the situation:

1.  We will be using a commercial C++ compiler.
2.  We are redoing a graphical user interface using X-Windows
    as the foundation.  The user interface will have:
    a.  Buttons
    b.  Simple menus (walking menus would be nice, but Xt does
        not support it nicely yet and neither does InterViews
        as far as I can tell).  Menus include pop-up and
        persistent.
    c.  Scalable-size graphical objects, that are a composite
        of circles, rectangles, polygons.  These can be filled
        or unfilled.
    d.  Geographical maps of various sorts.
    e.  Displays can be constructed by the user using scalable-sized
        objects and maps.
    f.  Displays organized into hierarchies.
    g.  Certain information displayed as bar-charts, line-graphs,
        pie-charts, with lines of different types (color, thickness,
        dashed/dotted/unbroken).
    h.  Scrollable text and graphics windows.

The question:

What inexpensive/public domain toolkit best suits the job.

We have been getting up to speed on Xt of X11R4 and know how
to do everything we want using Xt.  We are just beginning to
look at the InterViews C++ class toolkit from Stanford University
which looks like it offers similar functionality of Xt but
organized into classes.

Some related questions:

1.  How widely used is InterViews?
2.  How strongly does Stanford support (or whatever the real
    development entity is) InterViews development?
    As X-Windows matures, will InterViews mature?
3.  How much of a standard is InterViews now and how
    likely will InterViews be a standard in the future?
4.  How mature is InterViews?  How bug free is it?
    How compatable is it to other libraries (I've heard
    of an incompatability with NIHCL)?
5.  Is there another toolkit that we should be examining?

I know that the user interface begs to be written in Objective-C
with their ICPAKs (in fact, prototypes were developed *very*
quickly in Objective-C) and that is my preferred way to go,
but I'm given a C++ environment.

--
Chuck Noren
NET:     dinl!noren@ncar.ucar.edu

marks@agcsun.UUCP (Mark Shepherd) (08/04/90)

In article <1681@dinl.mmc.UUCP> noren@dinl.UUCP (Charles Noren) writes:
>Here is the situation:
>
>1.  We will be using a commercial C++ compiler.
>2.  We are redoing a graphical user interface using X-Windows
>    as the foundation......  [list of widgets]
>
> [we are looking at Xt and InterViews]
> Is there another toolkit that we should be examining?

Look at the product from Solbourne called OI (Object Interface?). It
is a set of C++ classes that gives access to all the usual widgets. The
unique feature of this toolkit is that by toggling a switch you can
get the widgets to look like Open Look or Motif, without having to
change any of your code. I recently saw a demo of some
reasonably complex applications written with the toolkit
and it seems to work. The vendor claims that they do (or will) support
100% of the functionality defined for both OpenLook and Motif, and that
they will evolve the product over time to keep up with changing standards.

Solbourne is in Longmont, CO. I was told that the first release of
the product should be available this month for Open Look, and around
the end of the year for Motif.

[disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Solbourne, and am
merely passing on information that was given to me by the vendor].

Mark Shepherd
agcsun!marks@boulder.colorado.edu
303-279-1300 x288 (voice)
303-279-2209      (fax)

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (08/18/90)

Thanks to all who answered on their experiences and thoughts
on InterViews.  The consensus was that InterViews is a nice
class toolkit for X-Windows, and (at least the latest release)
reasonably bug free.  Another C++ class toolkit mentioned a lot
was Solbourne's OI (they are located in Longmont, Colorado).

One person, Ciaran McHale [cjmchale@cs.tcd.ie], tried to send
information to me, but his long e-mail message bounced
(I got his short e-mail messages, but I could not get my e-mail
through to him).

Thanks again,