[comp.windows.x] How to manually move an AUTOMATIC XmScrolledWindow

tomt@maui.coral.COM (Tom Tulinsky) (08/18/90)

A while back I asked several times, in various ways, how to manually
reposition the WorkArea of an AUTOMATIC XmScrolledWindow.  I finally
received a response which showed me how to do it from Peter Hennige at
Cadlab in Germany.  Following is my question and his response.

In article <9006202040.AA05018@maui.coral.com> I wrote:
>I am using a Motif ScrolledWindow widget with ScrollingPolicy=AUTOMATIC.
>Usually  I want to let Motif move my  work  area window automatically
>want to position the scroll bar, and the work area, under program control.
>When I try XmScrollBarSetValues, the scroll bar moves but the work area
>(the window I'm looking at thru the scrolled window) does not. I have set
>the Notify parameter of XmScrollBarSetValues to True.  Is this supposed
>to work?  If not, I think it ought to be added to Motif.

Peter's Answer:

> The reason for this behaviour is that the ScrolledWindow widget
> doesn't add any ValueChangedCallbacks to the ScrollBar widgets. You
> have to supply these callbacks by yourself, for example in the
> following way:
>

> void
> value_changed_cb (widget, client_data, call_data)
>    Widget                     widget;
>    caddr_t                    client_data;
>    XmScrollBarCallbackStruct  *call_data;
> {
>    XtCallCallbacks (widget, XmNincrementCallback, call_data);
>                           /* Ugly, but it works. */
> }
>
>    .
>    .
>    .
>

>    XtAddCallback (vertical_scrollbar_widget, XmNvalueChangedCallback,
>                   value_changed_cb, NULL);
>    XtAddCallback (horizontal_scrollbar_widget, XmNvalueChangedCallback,
>                   value_changed_cb, NULL);
>

> With this callbacks added the work area is repositioned (as everyone
> would expect it) after each call to XmScrollBarSetValues, which
> changes the ScrollBar values.
>

> Peter Hennige
> Cadlab
> Bahnhofstrasse 32
> 4790 Paderborn
> FRG
>
> Email: pit@tunix.cadlab.de

 Coral
     * **	Tom Tulinsky                508 460-6010
  *  **		Coral Network Corporation   fax 508 481-6258
*  ** 		734 Forest St               net: tomt@coral.com
 ***		   Marlboro, MA 01752
  **		   U S A
*********