[net.news] Can we nuke "Re: Orphaned Response" please?

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (02/22/85)

*** REPLACE THIS MESS WITH YOUR LINEAGE ***

Every time I see this title, I want to throw a brick through the
screen!

1) It doesn't make any sense,

2) It gives no clues to the article's contents,

3) I suspect that most people are like me, and hit the "n" key
   as fast as they can whenever it comes up on the screen.

My suggestion is to replace this non-title with the first few words
of the article.  At least people might get an idea of whether they
want to read it.
/_\_

				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

rjk@mgweed.UUCP (Randy King) (02/23/85)

<><><>

I agree, but what the heck - I just don't bother reading them.  And
I know a bunch of people that do the same.  So those of you "notes"
folks that let the "orpahned response" stuff go out, it would be
just about as effective as "cat article > /dev/null."

						Randy King
						AT&T-CP@MG
						ihnp4!mgweed!rjk

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (02/26/85)

> 3) I suspect that most people are like me, and hit the "n" key
>    as fast as they can whenever it comes up on the screen.

Yes, I am another "most people."

Sorry, folks, but I just don't bother to read 'Orphaned Response'
articles.  I don't care why your software puts it there.  I just don't
read them.

Fix your software, then maybe we'll talk...
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (The Phantom) (02/26/85)

In article <199@ihlpg.UUCP> fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) writes:
>Every time I see this title, I want to throw a brick through the
>screen!

The problem are brain-damaged notes sites. Please note, before the notes
people start flaming, that not all notes sites are brain-damaged, but along
with the lazy people still running A news, outdates B news, and other
random pieces of antiquity, there are a significant percentage of notes
sites out there that don't comform to the Usenet standards and insist on
forcing their problems on the rest of the net. These are the sites that
can't handle 14 character topic names, that don't know how to handle
generally do their own thing regardless of their need to be cooperative in
the network. What can we do? nothing, really-- if they don't feel like
upgrading, all we can do is tolerate it, or write software that eats those
messages or something. There isn't a mechanism for getting a site to
upgrade except getting their feed to cut them off, and that's rather
drastic, and usually impossible anyway.

What I do, and I suspect many others as well, is simply refuse to read
anything with that header. rn makes that simple, and eventually I would
hope that the posters of such messages notice that they are gettting
significantly fewer comments on their postings than they might otherwise
expect and get their SA's to upgrade. Really hyper people can send letters
of suggestion to the offending sites, but that tends to be a lot of work,
for little reward.

chuq
--
From behind the eight ball:                       Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

We'll be recording at the Paradise Friday night. Live, on the Death label.

As an example, the following article showed up here a few days ago:

From: thom@hpfcrx.UUCP (thom)
Newsgroups: net.cooks
Subject: Re: Orphaned Response
Date: Tue, 12-Feb-85 15:51:00 EST

I can't tell you why, but I can verify your claim.  It really does work.

Tom Morrissey.
hplabs!hpfcla!thom

--- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (03/05/85)

At one time, I had fixed up rnews to drop "orphaned responses".
I've still got the code somewhere, and if there is interest,
I will post it.

honey@down.FUN (code 101) (03/05/85)

jim suggests that rnews should automagically reject orphaned response
notes.  this seems only fair, since notes drops all messages from
apollo, due to the warped message id.

	peter

brooke@nmtvax.UUCP (03/08/85)

In article <> honey@down.FUN (code 101) writes:
>jim suggests that rnews should automagically reject orphaned response
>notes.  this seems only fair, since notes drops all messages from
>apollo, due to the warped message id.
>
>	peter

I have seen several of messages to this effect lately.  I see "Orphaned
Response once in a while."  What does it mean?  Where do they come from?
Pardon my ignorance, but I am curious.
--

                    J. Brooke King in Socorro Funland
                     ... ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!brooke

Any thoughts or non-thoughts expressed here are not necessarily those of NMIMT.