[comp.windows.x] OenWindows/XView

barnes@cs.nps.navy.mil (Patrick Barnes ) (08/21/90)

I've been keeping track of the net info on XView 2.0, and also the
news on windows.misc about OpenWindows 2.0.  Please would someone clarify
the relationship (if any) between XView (based on the Open Look GUI)
and OpenWindows (Sun's "only" windowing environment being shipped with
new hardware and with SunOS.

Is OpenWindows an OpenLook style GUI (like SunView as opposed to Motif)?

Is OpenWindows based on Xt?

barnes@cs.nps.navy.mil 		Capt Patrick D. Barnes, USAF
NPGSCOL/Code 52Ba	 	(408) 646-2830
Monterey, CA  93943		FAX (408) 646-2814

fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (08/22/90)

OpenWindows is a Sun product that encompasses:

	a window system that combines a NeWS and X11R4-compliant server
			(X/NeWS)
	a UI spec
			(Open Look)
	a series of toolkits to implement the Open Look UI
			(XView, OLIT, tNt)
	a series of Open Look style utilities
			(shelltool, mailtool, dbxtool, filemgr, etc.)
	sample source code
	docs

>Is OpenWindows based on Xt?

	Not per se, but one of the toolkits (OLIT) that comes with
	Open Windows 2.0 is an XT-based toolkit.  So any apps
	generated with OLIT are subsequently XT-based.
	XView and [certainly] tNt (the NeWS toolkit) are not XT-based.

Frank G.		fgreco@shearson.com

My comments are mine, not my clients.

philr@knecht.Eng.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) (08/22/90)

barnes@cs.nps.navy.mil (Patrick Barnes ) writes:

>I've been keeping track of the net info on XView 2.0, and also the
>news on windows.misc about OpenWindows 2.0.  Please would someone clarify
>the relationship (if any) between XView (based on the Open Look GUI)
>and OpenWindows.

>Is OpenWindows an OpenLook style GUI (like SunView as opposed to Motif)?

>Is OpenWindows based on Xt?

OpenLook is a graphical user interface specification.  (AT&T, in their
infinite wisdom, decided to call their toolkit, which implements the
OpenLook spec., OpenLook.)  This is the look and feel part of
OpenWindows.

OpenWindows is a window based user environment.  It's the X11/NeWS
server, the Deskset tools (i.e. cmdtool, filemanager, mailtool), and
the user-interface toolkits (XView, OLIT, and tNt).

XView (X Window-System-based Visual/Integrated Environment for
Workstations (I swear I'm didn't make that up :-)) is based directly on
Xlib.

OLIT (OpenLook Intrinsics Toolkit) is an intrinsics based toolkit.

tNt (the NeWS toolkit) is a NeWS based toolkit.  NeWS is
object-oriented PostScript with windowing capabilities added.

All three toolkits implement the OpenLook graphical user interface,
although the version of tNt in OpenWindows 2.0 does not provide the 3D
look.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm not in marketing.  This is not an official Sun
statement.  In fact, I may have no idea at all of what I'm talking
about.

--
Philip Robar
Sun Microsystems