[comp.windows.x] Does X run over WIN/TCP?

cowan@dover.sps.mot.com (Andrew H Cowan) (08/21/90)

I am having trouble getting DecWindows to work over Wollingong's
WIN/TCP.  Does anyone know if this is "supposed" to work, or is
this another reason to buy Multinet TCP?

I have a Vax VMS running Multinet TCP/IP and use DecWindow X
applications by doing the following commands:
	>:: set disp/creat/trans=tcpip/node=111.222.33.44
	>:: run sys$system:decw$clock

When I try the same thing on a Vax VMS running WIN/TCP I get this
error message:
	>:: set disp/creat/trans=wintcp/node=111.222.33.44
	>:: run sys$system:decw$clock
	X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display
	%DWT-F-DWTABORT, xtoolkit fatal error

What am I doing wrong?  Does _anyone_ have X applications/DecWindows
running over WIN/TCP?

-AC
        **                   /   \                   **
     ** **                  |     |                  **
     ** ** **                \___/                   ** **
     ********                                        ** **
      ******         __                  **          ****
        **        \_/oo\_/              ****         **
........**..........\||/................****.........**...........
Andy Cowan...........||.............cowan@soleil.sps.mot.com......

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (08/21/90)

In article <2382@dover.sps.mot.com> cowan@soleil.sps.mot.com.UUCP (Andrew H Cowan) writes:
>I am having trouble getting DecWindows to work over Wollingong's
>WIN/TCP.  Does anyone know if this is "supposed" to work, or is
>this another reason to buy Multinet TCP?

The WIN/TCP DECwindows transport works fine here between our VAXcluster
running VMS 5.3-1, our DECstations (3100 w/R4, 5000 w/DECwindows), and
our Suns (X11R4).

>I have a Vax VMS running Multinet TCP/IP and use DecWindow X
>applications by doing the following commands:
>	>:: set disp/creat/trans=tcpip/node=111.222.33.44
>	>:: run sys$system:decw$clock
>
>When I try the same thing on a Vax VMS running WIN/TCP I get this
>error message:
>	>:: set disp/creat/trans=wintcp/node=111.222.33.44
>	>:: run sys$system:decw$clock
>	X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display
>	%DWT-F-DWTABORT, xtoolkit fatal error
>
>What am I doing wrong?  Does _anyone_ have X applications/DecWindows
>running over WIN/TCP?

There are a couple of things to check:

  1.  Make sure you did an xhost on the server for the VMS system
      that's trying to open the window(s).

  2.  Make sure you've installed the DECW$TRANSPORT_WINTCP.EXE image.
      I put the following command in TWG$TCP:[NETDIST.MISC]INSTALL.COM:

        sys$share:decw$transport_wintcp /open/share/head/prot

      so that it gets installed automatically whenever WIN/TCP is
      started.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

dag@nasty.EBay.Sun.COM (Darren Griffiths) (08/21/90)

In article <2382@dover.sps.mot.com> cowan@soleil.sps.mot.com.UUCP (Andrew H Cowan) writes:
>I am having trouble getting DecWindows to work over Wollingong's
>WIN/TCP.  Does anyone know if this is "supposed" to work, or is
>this another reason to buy Multinet TCP?

This is another reason to buy Multinet.  As of three months ago (the last
time I was unlucky enough to use TWiGs TCP/IP) it didn't have support for
X-windows and I haven't heard of any plans that they are going to support it.

>Andy Cowan...........||.............cowan@soleil.sps.mot.com......

  Cheers,
   --darren

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/23/90)

In article <2382@dover.sps.mot.com> cowan@soleil.sps.mot.com.UUCP (Andrew H Cowan) writes:
>What am I doing wrong?  Does _anyone_ have X applications/DecWindows
>running over WIN/TCP?

I presume that is the TCP/IP we have on the machine down the hall.
The PE guys have a Vax-station running VMS & DECWindow's.  They've
run applications there and displayed 'em on other X servers, including
Sun's.  Wouldn't make a lot of sense for us to be using somebody
elses TCP/IP, now would it? ;-)

But then whaddoIknow?  I work on Unix...
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>