[comp.windows.x] ALL YE X VENDORS

meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) (08/10/90)

Jeffery Small writes:

|I have just begun using X-windows (Open Windows on a Sun 3/60) and I find
|that the Imake utility was not included in the distribution from Sun.

This brings up something that REALLY annoys me.

Do ANY of the vendors ship Imake?

Seems like the Consortium could insist that, along with
Xlib, vendors ship Imake if they want to call it X. With
makedepend, of course. At least if they ship other
development stuff.

I know that DEC and Sun don't ship it, and I hear that
the IBM doesn't either. Does anybody?

Finally, is Sun shipping Xt at all, yet? (right)

-Miles

Miles O'Neal
{uunet | emory}!rsiatl!meo (!weekdays)
meo@sware.com              (weekdays)
{uunet | emory}!sware!meo  (weekdays)

>Finally, is Sun shipping Xt at all, yet? (right)

Well, to quote another article posted here:

> On July 25, 1990, Sun Microsystems announced the immediate
> availability of OpenWindows Version 2. ...

>  - Product Highlights: Enhancements to OpenWindows Version 2
> 	New features since OpenWindows 1.0

> 	o Support for OPEN LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT) which provides
> 	  intrisics support (based on XT+)

so if OW 2.0 is, indeed, shipping, it had better come with Xt in order
for AT&T's XT+ (I don't know what "based on" means here; is OLIT more
than just XT+, or is it just the result of some bored marketer tinkering
with names again?) to work....

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (08/11/90)

In article <3532@rsiatl.UUCP>, meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) writes:
> I know that DEC and Sun don't ship it, and I hear that
> the IBM doesn't either. Does anybody?

The SCO Open Desktop Development System includes imake.
IBM AOS (may it rest in peace) included imake.

- Erik

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (08/11/90)

Oh, yeah -- SGI's release 3.3 includes imake too...

-- Erik

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (08/12/90)

In article <3532@rsiatl.UUCP>, meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) writes:
> I know that DEC and Sun don't ship it, and I hear that
> the IBM doesn't either. Does anybody?

Solbourne ships it, but doesn't include xmkmf (although it is documented).

--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

dwig@b11.ingr.com (David Wiggins) (08/12/90)

In article <3532@rsiatl.UUCP>, meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) writes:

> Do ANY of the vendors ship Imake?

Intergraph's X developer's kit, XWINPROG, contains imake & related
files, makedepend, Xlib, Xt, Xaw, and everything else you need to
compile X clients written in C for our Clipper-based workstations.

David P. Wiggins	dwig@ingr.com  or  uunet!ingr!dwig	(205)730-6365
Intergraph Corporation, One Madison Industrial Park, Huntsville, AL 35807

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (08/13/90)

In article <3532@rsiatl.UUCP>, meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) writes:

> Do ANY of the vendors ship Imake?

Encore Computer Corp. ships imake.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).

imp@dancer.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (08/14/90)

: Solbourne ships it, but doesn't include xmkmf (although it is documented).

Release 1.1 of X from Solbourne included imake and xmkmf.
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
Me?  I'm the onion rings.

xpert-in@unipalm.co.UK (Incoming xpert list stuff) (08/15/90)

>   |I have just begun using X-windows (Open Windows on a Sun 3/60) and I find
>   |that the Imake utility was not included in the distribution from Sun.
>
>   This brings up something that REALLY annoys me.
>
>   Do ANY of the vendors ship Imake?

XTech ships imake, plus makedepend, plus sun.cf, plus other sample
source code which makes use of Imakefiles with its
X server for Suns.

>   Seems like the Consortium could insist that, along with
>   Xlib, vendors ship Imake if they want to call it X. With
>   makedepend, of course. At least if they ship other
>   development stuff.

Agreed.

Richard.

Richard Nuttall                                richard@xtech.uucp
XTech, Cambridge, England                      ukc!acorn!unipalm!xtech!richard
Tel: +44 954 211862                            richard@unipalm.uucp

mickey@altos86.Altos.COM (Michael Thompson) (08/18/90)

In article <3532@rsiatl.UUCP>, meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) writes:

> Do ANY of the vendors ship Imake?

Altos ships imake and xmkmf, and all the common X libraries as well.

			    -Michael
			    mickey@altos.Altos.COM

strike@pixel.UUCP (strike) (08/21/90)

CONVEX ships Imake with its CXwindows V2.0 (X11R4 for CONVEX) package. We
included some changes to Imake.tmpl to build Motif applications as well.

Martin Streicher
Manager, Graphics and Windowing Software Group
CONVEX Computer Corporation
Richardson, TX
email: strike@convex.com or uunet!convex!strike
phone: 214/497-4469

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (08/23/90)

In article <11659@odin.corp.sgi.com> erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) writes:
>In article <3532@rsiatl.UUCP>, meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) writes:
>> I know that DEC and Sun don't ship it, and I hear that
>> the IBM doesn't either. Does anybody?

The X11 Programmer's Toolkit for the Amiga, about to ship in
September won't have imake.

Primarily because the source as distributed by MIT uses to many
unix like features that need to be done in a different way under
AmigaDos. We hope to have a version written for the Amiga in a
future release.

Dale Luck
GfxBase

--