[comp.windows.x] Deleting Text From a Read-Only Text Widget

yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu (matt robinson) (08/24/90)

Well, from the response I got from my last question, I guess just
one more in the basket won't hurt too much (In other words, you
guys who answer questions here are great...Thanks for the time and
energy you give to help out others.), so here's my question.

I have a text widget which is displaying a file to the user that
is read only.  Now, the problem I am having with this is that
every time there is an update on the file (for whatever reason,
almost like a make) I want to read the file from the disk and
redisplay it to the user.

Right now, I don't know of any widget to just get rid of the
source in the file (other than maybe XtTextReplace, but that
doesn't allow for a file specification; rather, a char *.)
so I don't know where to begin to look for a delete function
to remove the text.  Is there some good old fashioned delete
text function, or do I have to use some other means of deleting
the file from the widget?  If anyone has anything to throw in
there, (including a couple of lines of code, if that would be all
it takes to do), I would appreciate it.  Thanks for your time.

Matt Robinson
Meta Access, Inc.
Santa Barbara, CA

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/25/90)

In article <8301@ucrmath.ucr.edu> yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu (matt robinson) writes:
> Right now, I don't know of any widget to just get rid of the
> source in the file (other than maybe XtTextReplace, but that
> doesn't allow for a file specification; rather, a char *.)

You should be posting this stuff to comp.windows.x.motif.

Anwyay, you can delete the text in a widget using:
    XmTextSetString(text_widget, "");

If you want to replace the entire widget text completely, then
use some other string besides "".
--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com