[comp.windows.x] Stacking order of windows

koppes@cadfx.ccad.uiowa.edu (Beth Koppes) (08/24/90)

  Does anyone know how to make a window stay behind all other windows,
even if it has accepted the focus.  I am using mwm but I would like
this to work independently of the window manager

ie:
  The window has the focus but doesn't come to the top of the
  stacking order, stays at the bottom.

thanks in advance
---
Beth Koppes
University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa 52240
koppes@cadfx.ccad.uiowa.edu

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (08/27/90)

> Does anyone know how to make a window stay behind all other windows,
> even if it has accepted the focus.  I am using mwm but I would like
> this to work independently of the window manager

There is no solution, then.  This is entirely the province of the
window manager, and if window manager which has (perhaps upon user
request) made the policy decision that the focus window will always be
on top of all others, your client is in no position to argue about it.

I do not know anything about mwm, so I can't help in that specific case.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

achan@sparkle.nec.com (Amy Chan) (08/28/90)

In article <9008271133.AA08847@Larry.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU writes:
>> Does anyone know how to make a window stay behind all other windows,
>> even if it has accepted the focus.  I am using mwm but I would like
>> this to work independently of the window manager

In mwm, if you set the focusAutoRaise resource to be "False", the stacking
of windows on the display is not changed when a window gets the keyboard
input focus.

Hope this helps.

Amy Chan
achan@tdd.sj.nec.com