[comp.windows.x] Where does the Hourglass cursor come from?

rdn@chinet.chi.il.us (Richard Nichols) (08/27/90)

Whenever I start up the Motif window manager, the X cursor temporarily changes
to an hourglass shape.  However, the graphic for the hourglass seems to change
depending on what server I am running.  (I use either 800x600 VGA or 1024x726
8514.)  Is the hourglass cursor built into the server?  Is there any way for my
application to turn it on and off (for time intensive tasks)?  I've looked
through the set of cursor fonts, and it isn't there.  Who defines it?

I am currently using ISC's X11R3 v1.1 and ISC's Motif V1.0

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Nichols
rdn@chinet.il.us

larry@sunrise.com (Larry Rogers) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug26.202641.16740@chinet.chi.il.us> rdn@chinet.chi.il.us (Richard Nichols) writes:

>Whenever I start up the Motif window manager, the X cursor temporarily changes
>to an hourglass shape.  However, the graphic for the hourglass seems to change
>depending on what server I am running.  (I use either 800x600 VGA or 1024x726
>8514.)  Is the hourglass cursor built into the server?  Is there any way for my
>application to turn it on and off (for time intensive tasks)?  I've looked
>through the set of cursor fonts, and it isn't there.  Who defines it?
>
>I am currently using ISC's X11R3 v1.1 and ISC's Motif V1.0
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Rick Nichols
>rdn@chinet.il.us

The code for the hourglass is merely a standard bitmap file that is
incorporated into the Window Manager source code.  The reason there
are two different cursors is that some machines are not capable of
handling cursors with dimensions greater than 16x16.  XQueryBestCursor
tells the application what the largest that can be displayed is.

Decstations can only support 16x16, but most others support the larger
32x32 which looks alot nicer.  If you want to use the cursors that are
in the window manager extract them from the code.

Larry
larry@sunrise.com

--

== Larry Rogers == Sunrise Software Systems, Inc. ==
         <larry@sunrise.com | uunet!ezx!larry>

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug27.130558.11243@sunrise.com>, larry@sunrise.com
(Larry Rogers) writes:
> From: larry@sunrise.com (Larry Rogers)

> Decstations can only support 16x16, but most others support the larger
> 32x32 which looks alot nicer.

Which DECstations?  DECstation 3100, 2100, 5000?

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

Internet: graham@fuel.enet.dec.com
UUCP:     ...!decwrl!fuel.enet.dec.com!graham

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/28/90)

Christopher Graham <graham@fuel.dec.com> writes:

	Larry Rogers <larry@sunrise.com> writes:

		Decstations can only support 16x16, but most others
		support the larger 32x32 which looks alot nicer.

	Which DECstations?  DECstation 3100, 2100, 5000?

From the Motif 1.1 README

       To work around a bug in the MIT X11R4 server for the color
       DECstation 3100 (Xcfbpmax), the default Makefile for mwm
       does not have LARGECURSORS defined.  (It is defined in
       Makefile.hp.)  Normally LARGECURSORS is defined so that mwm
       can use large cursors (32x32) if the X server supports them.
       The MIT DECstation X server answers incorrectly when XQuer-
       yBestCursor is called with a cursor size of 32x32.  The
       server responds that it can display 32x32 cursors, when in
       fact it cannot.

/jordan