[comp.windows.x] vtwm disappointment

de5@de5.ctd.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) (08/25/90)

I finally got my hands on a workstation, hurredly built R4, fetched
twm, patched it, fired it up, and...hey, how come I can't move windows
into and out of the Virtual Desktop?  Is anyone planning on adding that
capability?  It's way outa my league.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

tomw@orac.esd.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug24.145627@de5.ORNL.GOV>, de5@de5.ctd.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) writes:

> I finally got my hands on a workstation, hurredly built R4, fetched
> twm, patched it, fired it up, and...hey, how come I can't move windows
> into and out of the Virtual Desktop?  Is anyone planning on adding that
> capability?  It's way outa my league.

> --
> Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
> Martin Marietta Energy Systems
> Workstation Support

You are probably doing a NoDefaults at the top of your .twmrc.  This
removes the default bindings for the Virtual Desktop.  If you take it
out, it should fix your problem.

--
Tom Weinstein
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems

murthy@algron.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (08/28/90)

tomw@orac.esd.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein) writes:

>In article <1990Aug24.145627@de5.ORNL.GOV>, de5@de5.ctd.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) writes:

>> I finally got my hands on a workstation, hurredly built R4, fetched
>> twm, patched it, fired it up, and...hey, how come I can't move windows
>> into and out of the Virtual Desktop?  Is anyone planning on adding that
>> capability?  It's way outa my league.

>> --
>> Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
>> Martin Marietta Energy Systems
>> Workstation Support

>You are probably doing a NoDefaults at the top of your .twmrc.  This
>removes the default bindings for the Virtual Desktop.  If you take it
>out, it should fix your problem.

I haven't got a "NoDefaults" in my .twmrc, and I can't do it, either.
I think what Tom is referring to is the inability to drag a window
off the screen, and have your mouse warped into the virtual desktop,
with the window shrunk in the right position.  Dually, the ability to
drag a window from somewhere on the virtual desktop into the area
circumscribed by the "real desktop rectangle", and have your mouse
warped onto the real screen, with the real window.

--chet--

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (08/29/90)

   In article <1990Aug24.145627@de5.ORNL.GOV>, de5@de5.ctd.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) writes:

   > I finally got my hands on a workstation, hurredly built R4, fetched
   > twm, patched it, fired it up, and...hey, how come I can't move windows
   > into and out of the Virtual Desktop?  Is anyone planning on adding that
   > capability?  It's way outa my league.

	Make sure you don't have DontMoveOff set in your .twmrc file.
	DontMoveOff will force all your windows to be completely on the
	screen.

   > --
   > Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
   > Martin Marietta Energy Systems
   > Workstation Support

	=Mike

--
= OPEN Software Foundation -- 11 Cambridge Center -- Cambridge, MA 02142