[comp.windows.x] C++ Browser

graham@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Mr.G.Dean) (08/20/90)

	Is there a C++ browser which runs with X11 ?? -
I'd like to look at Inheritence graphs, object-relations
etc. etc. - the one I've seen is "Objectworks" which runs
under (I believe) Openlook for sun workstations. The problem
is this comes complete with the AT&T compiler which I've
already got. Any help/pointers would be useful - esp. PD stuff.

	-- Graham Dean

uucp:   ...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!graham    Department of Computing		 *
arpa:   graham%lancs.comp@ucl.cs       University of Lancaster		 *
janet:  graham@uk.ac.lancs.comp        Bailrigg, Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK	 *

av@uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) (08/21/90)

In article <1002@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk>, graham@comp.lancs.ac.uk
(Mr.G.Dean) writes:

|> 	Is there a C++ browser which runs with X11 ?? -
|> I'd like to look at Inheritence graphs, object-relations
|> etc. etc. - the one I've seen is "Objectworks" which runs
|> under (I believe) Openlook for sun workstations. The problem
|> is this comes complete with the AT&T compiler which I've
|> already got. Any help/pointers would be useful - esp. PD stuff.

With InterViews comes iclass, class browser with list of classes in
headerfiles of given directory and
parents and sublclasses of selected class plus its definition from
headerfile. iclass does not show any
graphs.

Arto V. Viitanen				         email: av@kielo.uta.fi
University Of Tampere,				   	    av@ohdake.cs.uta.fi
Finland

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (08/21/90)

In article <1504@kielo.uta.fi> av@uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) writes:
>In article <1002@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk>, graham@comp.lancs.ac.uk
>(Mr.G.Dean) writes:
>|>
>|> 	Is there a C++ browser which runs with X11 ?? -
>|> I'd like to look at Inheritence graphs, object-relations
>|> etc. etc. - the one I've seen is "Objectworks" which runs
>|> under (I believe) Openlook for sun workstations. The problem
>|> is this comes complete with the AT&T compiler which I've
>|> already got. Any help/pointers would be useful - esp. PD stuff.
>|
>With InterViews comes iclass, class browser with list of classes in
>headerfiles of given directory and
>parents and sublclasses of selected class plus its definition from
>headerfile. iclass does not show any
>graphs.

The Brown University environment has a browser that is very nice.
It shows graphically the relationships between the classes.
Its available via ftp from Brown at [128.148.32.66].
Be sure the copy the files that have the instructions and restrictions
on copying their files, for you will have to get a password from
Brown to get their Field environment, which includes cbrowse, the
browser.

Brown has a very nice development environment.  While cbrowse is nice,
I like the Objective-C browser better.  The Objective-C browser is
a Smalltalk-like browser that allows you to browser CODE, not just
header files (like iclass) or recreated header information (like
cbrowse).  The Objective-C borwser, however, does not show graphical
relationships (not important to me, seeing the organization of the
classes textually is sufficient) or does not edit the code in the current
release of it (it also doesn't work on C++ code, which is either
good or bad depennding on your point of view ;-}).

--
Chuck Noren
NET:     dinl!noren@ncar.ucar.edu

foreman@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Mike Foreman) (08/23/90)

Mr.G.Dean (graham@comp.lancs.ac.uk) asks:

> 	Is there a C++ browser which runs with X11 ?? -
> I'd like to look at Inheritence graphs, object-relations
> etc. etc. - the one I've seen is "Objectworks" which runs
> under (I believe) Openlook for sun workstations. The problem
> is this comes complete with the AT&T compiler which I've
> already got. Any help/pointers would be useful - esp. PD stuff.

HP has announced a C++ development environment that does what you
asked. Its called C++/SoftBench.

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (08/24/90)

> HP has announced a C++ development environment that does what you
> asked. Its called C++/SoftBench.

If you would like more information on the *real cool* HP C++ product, or
the *also real cool* HP C++Developer product (C++ Class construction and
Browsing tool - sounds like what you are asking for) or the complete HP
C++/SoftBench development environment (includes both HP C++ and HP
C++Developer) you can send me email and I will reply (or post it if
sufficient interest) with more detailed information on the products, how
to get technical data sheets, and how to order.

Brad Ahlf
bla@hpda.hp.com

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (08/29/90)

I am including information on (1) who to contact for *more* information
about HP C++ products, (2) what part numbers you need to know to obtain
the technical data sheets from the person in #1, and (3) a collection
of some old [opinionated?] answers to previous postings about HP C++
products (mostly from comp.sys.hp).

Happy programming!

Brad Ahlf
bla@hpda.hp.com
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement
by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  All of the data is provided for
informational purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any
kind.  <standard disclaimer BS>

(1) Who to contact for *more* information about HP C++ products.

      *	Your best person to contact is your local Sales Representative
	if you have such a person.  If not, you can contact a HP Sales
	office in most large metropolitan areas worldwide.

      *	You can also call (in US) a toll-free phone number which is
	used for obtaining customer information.  1-800-752-0900

(2) Part numbers of HP C++ product technical data sheets and information

      * HP C++/HP-UX 			5952-1568
      * Domain/C++			5952-0746
      * HP C++Developer 		5952-2946
      * HP C++/SoftBench 		5952-2933
      * CASE and Objects - A Primer	5952-2624

      Note: The part numbers to order the products are included in the
      technical data sheets.
      (Use part numbers B1691A and B1693A to order HP C++ on S300/S400 -
      the current data sheet has the wrong part number)

(3) Previous answers to postings about HP C++ products:

		--------------------------
> C++ from hp (I think this is basically a port of AT&T's C++).

Minimally correct.  :-) HP C++ *IS* a port of industry-standard ATT C++.
It also includes HP-UX (/usr/include and /usr/include/sys) and X11 and
Motif header files.  It also includes example source files from the HP,
Apollo, and Lippman manuals.  It also includes a copy of InterViews
complete with HP-UX patches in a 'contributed' fileset.  It also has a
bunch of HP-UX utilities/commands (nm++, yacc++, lex++, gprof++ make++,
mkmf++, and more).  It also includes a C++ programmer's library of stuff
like strings, dynamic arrays, parametric types (using macros), and more.
It also has lots of other HP features such as HP-added value code
quality, global optimization, interlanguage support, an extensive
documentation set, added compatibility with the ANSI C compiler, a
one-pass linker, 8- and 16-bit NLS support, C++ cpp support, K&R and
ANSI C compilation and cpp modes, and all of the ATT libraries including
the task library.

HP C++ also includes complete xdb++/cdb++ Symbolic Debug support.  And
(I think nobody else with the ATT C++ translator has the following) the
debugger fully supports the object-oriented features of the language such
as overloaded functions, class breakpoints, instance breakpoints,
self-identifying objects, and more.

HP C++ has also announced a complete C++ software development
environment built on top of SoftBench which includes a C++ class
construction and browsing tool.

		--------------------------
|What is the price of Softbench ? Is it possible to use Softbench with C++,
|if not so, when will it be possible ?

> I'm looking for a system simular to ObjectWorks for C++ by
> ParcPlace. Unfortunatly I need it to
> function under X windows.  I understand ObjectWorks uses SunView.
> Do you know of any vendors that might meet our needs?

Yes, I do know a product similiar to ObjectWorks for C++ that runs under
industry-standard X11 windows on a UN*X platform.  It was announced last
month at several trade shows.  The name is HP C++/SoftBench for HP-UX.
It runs on the Series 300/400 and Series 600/800 flavors of workstation
from Hewlett-Packard.  It was also announced that the SoftBench environment
will be licensed to other vendors to promote open systems software
engineering tools.

In my opinion, it is (will be) superior to anything else now in the market.
(But, I am biased :-)  This environment includes HP's superior HP C++
product which includes an object-oriented debugger for standard 2.0 C++
cfront code, a X11-based C++ browser/developer tool (C++Developer),
and all of the standard SoftBench open systems software engineering
components such as a build tool, development manager, static analysis
tool, debugger, editor, and more.  The C++Developer (browser/developer)
is also available standalone without the SoftBench CASE environment.

----------
At the recent Softools '90 conference, Hewlett Packard Co. introduced
HP C++/Softbench, a development environment tuned for C++.  Its
tools run under X11 with the OSF/MOTIF-appearance.  Features include:

  - Graphical browsing of class hierarchy
  - Class creation/modification/deletion from within the browser
  - C++ syntax correction and source code template generation
  - Full-feature debugger supporting class/instance/inline
    breakpoints, overloaded functions, C++ scoping, user selectible
    class/base class data printing commands
  - Static analysis of source code, which allows cross referencing where
    classes/functions/variables are defined/used
  - A data abstraction library of strings, hash tables, dynamic arrays,
    and memory management

This product runs on HP9000 machines, is now in alpha-test, and is
scheduled for release late this year.  HP has also announced that
HP Softbench can be licensed for porting to other platforms.