[comp.windows.x] cutting text in xedit

hughes@packrat.csee.usf.edu (Ken Hughes) (08/29/90)

I've read thru the documentation on this (I think) and haven't seen anywhere
how to delete/cut a selection from an xedit window.  The users here of Suntools
who loathe vi are reluctant to use X when it doesn't have an editor they feel
comfortable with.  Is there a way to do this, or is there a contributed editor
somewhere which does?

For that matter, does twm or X support this anywhere?

Ken Hughes  (hughes@sol.csee.usf.edu) |  "If you were happy every day of your
FT-Ph D student, PT-ex-sysadm	      |   your life you wouldn't be a human
Dept of Comp Sci and Eng	      |   being, you'd be a game show host."
University of South Florida	      |     Winona Ryder, from _Heathers_

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/30/90)

In article <1414@ziggy.EDU>, hughes@packrat.csee.usf.edu (Ken Hughes) writes:

|> I've read thru the documentation on this (I think) and haven't seen anywhere
|> how to delete/cut a selection from an xedit window.

Cutting text is handled by the application.  xedit uses the Athena text
widget where the default key binding for deleting selections is
control-w (the UNIX delete word convention).  You may remap this
binding through the translations resource.  Many people use the delete
key instead of control-w.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

keane@zeus.socs.uts.edu.au (Chris Keane) (08/30/90)

hughes@packrat.csee.usf.edu (Ken Hughes) writes:

>I've read thru the documentation on this (I think) and haven't seen anywhere
>how to delete/cut a selection from an xedit window.  The users here of Suntools
>who loathe vi are reluctant to use X when it doesn't have an editor they feel
>comfortable with.  Is there a way to do this, or is there a contributed editor
>somewhere which does?

>For that matter, does twm or X support this anywhere?

The way to do is:

{
button1: highlight text via dragging with button1
or
button1: hit to mark start of text
button3: hit to mark end of text      (selected text becomes highlighted)
}

THEN

button2: paste highlighted text at cursor position.

This is really standard and uses the X cutbuffers (that means you can
highlight and paste between applications (e.g. xterm and xedit)).
regards...
                                        Christofu.

p.s. This post is also serving as a test for a new news posting method. Could
     you please reply via email?
| The ultimate profit-making juke-box: It plays   |keane@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au
| Kylie Minogue songs until you put money in it...|
Disclaimer: These are my own opinions, but I'm insane. What's your excuse?