[comp.windows.x] XVIEW and DOS??

jcdixon@cbnewse.att.com (jack.c.dixon) (08/30/90)

In the xview2-announce file a list was given of the platforms that Xview
is being ported to:

Platform			Vendor
DEC Station			Sun Microsystems
HP 9000/300			Sun Microsystems
IBM RIOS			Sun Microsystems
DOS				Quarterdeck   ***************************
AUX				ICS
VMS				TGV

What kind of animal would an xview port to DOS be?  Would it be a windows3.0
toolkit or a DESQview toolkit or what?  Would it lose its Open Look L&F?
Anyone know?
Jack Dixon,  AT&T
{ ...!att!vogon!jcd, jcd@vogon.att.com }

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (08/31/90)

:
:
>What kind of animal would an xview port to DOS be?

It is a DESQview/X port.

>                                                    Would it be a windows3.0
>toolkit or a DESQview toolkit or what?

A DESQview/X toolkit, applications written with this toolkit will run on
the PC (as a client) but any machine on the network can act as the server.

>                                        Would it lose its Open Look L&F?

Impossible, you couldn't call it XView/OL...

>Anyone know?

Here's how it works (from Quarterdeck's, "DESQview/X, A Technical
Perspective"):

  ,,,>[SCREEN]
  :      |
  : +----+-----+          +----------+                     +----------+
  : |          |          |          |                     |          |
  : |          |          |          |                     |          |
  : | X-server |          | Standard |                     |   DOS    |
  : |          |----------|   DOS    |----------+----------| Extended | 640K
  : |          |          | Extended |          |          |  Memory  |
  : |          | Standard |  Memory  | Standard | X-client | X-client |
  : |          |   DOS    |   Appl.  |   DOS    |          |          |
  : |          |   Appl.  |          | Graphics |          |          |
  : |          |          |          |   Appl.  |          |          |
  : |          |          |          |          |          |          |
  : |  ^   ^   |          |          |    v     |  v    v  |    v     |
  : |  |   |   |          |          |    :     |  | or .  |    |     |
  : +--|---|---+----v-----+----v-----+----:-----+--|----.--+----|-----+
  : |  |   |   |  DV Translate S/W   |    :        |    .       |     |
  : |  |   |   +----.----------|-----+    :        |    .       |     |
  : |  +===|========.==========+==========:========+====.=======+     |
  :,,,,,,,,|,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:             .             |
    | DV   |        .                                   .             |
    +------|--------.-----------------------------------.-------------+
    |      +========.===================================.================<<
    |               .....................................................>>
    | Network                                                         |
    | DOS                                                             |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+ 0K

Is this clear? :-)

The bottom line(s):

1.  Your PC is an X server.
2.  You can do everything you can do under DV (i.e., multitask)
3.  Output from DOS apps. are translated to X protocols (on the fly)
       therefore you can think of a DOS app as an X client
4.  With the DV/X toolkit you can write X clients for the PC that
       can use any server on the net.

To me, this sounds like a great product.  The only issues are:
	Performance
	Price
	Compatibility (display hardware / network {hard,soft}ware )

Quarterdeck expects this out Q4 1990.

I'd give them a call ask ask them to send the above mentioned doc.  It's
45 pages and *extremely* informative. (Quarterdeck -- 213 392-9701)

Robert

Disclaimer:  I don't work for Quarterdeck, I just read their literature.

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |