[comp.windows.x] want twm to leave icons alone

coleman@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) (08/20/90)

I have a (hopefully simple) question.  I'm using twm on X11 rev 4.
I want to leave the borders on my windows yet there are certain icons
that I want twm to leave alone, without adding the name of the client or
any titles or borders. This should be simple, yet there is no mention
of how to do this in the man pages.  Any suggestions.

           Richard Coleman
           G.E. Aerospace
           coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com

coleman@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) (08/21/90)

Yesterday I posted that I was looking for a way to get twm to leave
the icons alone.  I have received e-mail from alot of people suggesting
NoTitle.  But when you use NoTitle, twm will leave the borders off of the
window for that particular application, yet will still add the name of the
application to the bottom of the icon.  This is the reverse of what I want.
I want to leave the borders on the window, yet I want the icons to look
exactly like they do when you load them in the application bitmap.  I don't
want twm to add the icon name at the bottom.  Any suggestions.

       Richard Coleman
       G.E. Aerospace
       coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (08/21/90)

In article <5381@ge-dab.GE.COM>, coleman@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Richard
Coleman) writes:
Richard> I have a (hopefully simple) question.  I'm using twm on X11
Richard> rev 4.  I want to leave the borders on my windows yet there
Richard> are certain icons that I want twm to leave alone, without
Richard> adding the name of the client or any titles or borders. This
Richard> should be simple, yet there is no mention of how to do this
Richard> in the man pages.  Any suggestions.

Use NoTitle in your .twmrc file:
NoTitle
{
	"xclock"
}

+ Ronald S. Woan       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ alternatives             woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ other email addresses     Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve:                    +

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP (Alton Harkcom) (08/21/90)

In article <5386@ge-dab.GE.COM>
   coleman@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) writes:

 =}I don't
 =}want twm to add the icon name at the bottom.  Any suggestions.

   I use the icon name option with a null string but it gives me white
space at the bottom of the icon. There should be a better way :-)

example:   emacs -in ""

  $@2#2OEE5!3t<02q<R(J PA$@#15;#22](J
  TEL 0422-52-5748  FAX 0422-55-1728
  E-mail harkcom@pa.yokogawa.co.jp

barr@merak.hasler (Stuart J. Barr) (08/22/90)

In article <HARKCOM.90Aug21110037@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP (Alton Harkcom) writes:
>In article <5386@ge-dab.GE.COM>
>   coleman@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) writes:
>
> =}I don't
> =}want twm to add the icon name at the bottom.  Any suggestions.
>
>   I use the icon name option with a null string but it gives me white
>space at the bottom of the icon. There should be a better way :-)
>
>example:   emacs -in ""

In your ~/.twmrc, place the lines

IconManagerDontShow
{
	"dclock"
	"xeyes"
	"xbiff"
}

for example.  TWM will then not display these icon names in it's list.
This is clearly explained in the user manual.

Regards,
	Stuart

                         Stuart J. Barr
 _  ___  __              Ascom Hasler AG, Berne, Switzerland   "If it works,
(_   |   |_)  _, ,_ ,_   UUCP: ...!mcsun!hslrswi!barr           don't fix it!"
 _)._/.  |_) (_| |  |    POTS: (+41) 031 63 16 04

coleman@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Richard Coleman) (08/22/90)

|> > =}I don't
|> > =}want twm to add the icon name at the bottom.  Any suggestions.
|> >

|> In your ~/.twmrc, place the lines
|>
|> IconManagerDontShow
|> {
|> 	"dclock"
|> 	"xeyes"
|> 	"xbiff"
|> }
|>
|> for example.  TWM will then not display these icon names in it's list.
|> This is clearly explained in the user manual.

The icon manager utility in twm, is a special client started by twm
(if you use ShowIconManager in .twmrc) that will have a button for each
client on the screen.  This button acts as an icon for that particular client.
When used in conjunction with IconifyByUnmapping this allows you to
replace all your icons on the screen with the icon manager.  The function
IconManagerDontShow mentioned above just tells the icon manager to ignore
a particular client and to not have a button for it.  It has nothing
to do with how the window manager handles a client's icon that is on the
screen.

I'm coming to the conclusion that twm does not have the facility
to do what I want.  Maybe it's time to start hacking code.

        Richard Coleman
        G.E. Aerospace
        coleman@sunny.dab.ge.com

toml@ninja.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (08/23/90)

|> The icon manager utility in twm, is a special client started by twm
|> (if you use ShowIconManager in .twmrc) that will have a button for each

The icon manager feature is not a special client, all of the code is in
twm.  As far as your problem goes, if you create your own icon window
rather than just supplying a pixmap, then twm will not add the icon name
under the icon.

--
Tom LaStrange

Solbourne Computer Inc.    ARPA: toml@Solbourne.COM
1900 Pike Rd.              UUCP: ...!{boulder,sun}!stan!toml
Longmont, CO  80501

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP (Alton Harkcom) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug23.144057.3566@Solbourne.COM>
   toml@ninja.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) writes:

 =}As far as your problem goes, if you create your own icon window
 =}rather than just supplying a pixmap, then twm will not add the icon name
 =}under the icon.

   But that doesn't sound very promising when dealing with clients written
by others. Do I have to hack the code for every client I will use just to
avoid icon names, or should I trust that those in charge of maintaining
my window manager will make a simple fix to do it for me?

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (08/30/90)

In article <HARKCOM.90Aug29175755@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP (Alton Harkcom) writes:

      But that doesn't sound very promising when dealing with clients written
   by others. Do I have to hack the code for every client I will use just to
   avoid icon names, or should I trust that those in charge of maintaining
   my window manager will make a simple fix to do it for me?

[This "free code" virus seems to turn people's minds off.]  You *pay* the
supplier of your window manager to make such a fix, and they either do it
or you sue them.  Or you can sit back, and maybe someone else's notion of
how window managers should act will coincidentally coincide with yours,
and just maybe they'll write a window manager you will be able to obtain.
Or you can do it yourself, if your supplies of money or patience are
short.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP (Alton Harkcom) (09/01/90)

In article <JANSSEN.90Aug29192150@holmes.parc.xerox.com>
    janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) writes:

 =}[This "free code" virus seems to turn people's minds off.] You *pay* the
 =}supplier of your window manager to make such a fix, and they either do it
 =}or you sue them.

   Speaking of closed minds...Money and lawsuits...Sheesh...

   I *pay* the supplier of twm with the feedback I generate about their
software. That's what distribution and maintenance is all about.

 =}Or you can do it yourself, if your supplies of money or patience are
 =}short.

   But don't forget time. There are a lot of us who like twm and want minor
changes but don't have the time to hack around someone elses code or to
grind out our own. Some of us are busy working on our projects to distribute
in the public domain and don't have time to correct the dozens of pds stuff
we use that is supposedly maintained by others...