[net.news] massive rn speedup code posted to net.sources

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (03/17/85)

I mentioned in a previous posting that I had implemented buffered
stdout in rn, and it made a big difference in output at high speed.
Lots of people have asked me for the diffs, so I've posted them
to net.sources. If you're using patch, be warned that you'll have
to install speedup.c by hand, since it's a new file and not a diff.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (03/18/85)

In article <516@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>I mentioned in a previous posting that I had implemented buffered
>stdout in rn, and it made a big difference in output at high speed.

I might point out that, unless Larry deliberately programmed around it,
you get buffered stdout "for free" in 4.1bsd and above.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (03/20/85)

In article <1382@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
||In article <516@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
||>I mentioned in a previous posting that I had implemented buffered
||>stdout in rn, and it made a big difference in output at high speed.
||I might point out that, unless Larry deliberately programmed around it,
||you get buffered stdout "for free" in 4.1bsd and above.

Well, mebbe so, but the basic output call in art.c, when spitting
out the article, is putchar, and there were no fflush's in the
source before I put some in. If 4.1 buffered stdout (as opposed
to buffering during printfs, which perhaps it does), I
don't think rn would work under it.

Dave Sherman