[net.news] postal addresses

chabot@miles.DEC (L S Chabot) (03/21/85)

> Subject: Signature files, ORGANIZATION etc.  It's not reading it that bothers me, it's paying for it
>
> But quotes are tolerable compared to some things we get.  People's POSTAL
> addresses!!!  For all the gigabytes of news that have flowed, has anybody
> ever gotten a response to an article in the postal mail?  Ever?
> (Without an electronic mail message as well, of course)  And your home
> address as well as office address?  Why do you want me to see all that?
> Even phone numbers are on a thin edge.  I once got a phone response to
> an article, so they have some validity, but no more than one phone number
> is really needed in most cases.
>
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

Yes, I've gotten responses to articles in the postal mail, to my office address
(which is, but for one time, the only one I ever post (and I gotten things at
my home address from just that one time too)).  And yes, I've gotten postal
mail *without* a corresponding electronic letter.
I'm pretty sure people post addresses and phone numbers in order to personalize
their postings--to give us a way of identifying the human on that keyboard.
Postal addresses are also nice, because that way we know what part of the world
the poster lives in (Brad's line covers this function too).

I depend upon people posting usenet mail addresses, because the path given
by a newsgroup posting is usually too long, and not necessarily a valid path
for mail.  I've gotten responses based on my signature address, which, if you
notice, is different from the machine from which I'm posting this (which
doesn't mean mail can't be sent to dec-miles as well as dec-amber).

Other things in signature lines I appreciate, but can't defend other than that.
They tell you even more about a person.

And speaking of persons, anybody else going to NCGA?

L S Chabot
UUCP:	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot
ARPA:	...chabot%amber.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
USFail:    DEC, LMO4/H4, 150 Locke Drive, Marlborough, MA  01752