[comp.windows.x] Orphaned Response

woodward@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (10/16/89)

/* Written  1:58 pm  Sep 21, 1989 by jeh%ritcv@cs.rit.edu in uicbert.eecs.uic.edu:comp.windows.x */
/* ---------- "AT&T XWin 1.1?" ---------- */
I tried to set up our new AT&T 6386 WGS with X, (Xwin 1.0) and discovered
that the new display, a (VGA?) VDC 600, is not suppported by the server.

Upon calling the hotline, they told me I would need the 1.1 upgrade to
Xwin.  His description made it sound like patch discs, rather than a
truly new release.

Does anyone know what else is fixed or added in this?

One thing that particularly interested me is that I heard a rumor that
it supports TCP/IP (1.0 only supports STARLAN).

Please let me know what you know!

				Thanks,
				Jim Heliotis
				{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jeh
				ritcv!jeh@CS.Rochester.EDU
				jeh@CS.RIT.EDU
/* End of text from uicbert.eecs.uic.edu:comp.windows.x */

woodward@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (10/16/89)

Yep, i have both att version 1.0 and 1.1

it appears that the 1.1 versions does indeed support tcp/ip, but the
problem is that it is onlyh the old tcp/ip stuff, and not wollongong
tcp/ip.  pity, 'cause the wollongong stuff is much superior, and will
run on top of a starlan-10 board. ( at&t's brand of twisted-pair
ethernet )

you're right in that the 1.1 release is simply a series of patches.
mostly, they were scrambling to support vga.

... now if only they'd get around to supporting wollongong .... !

woodward@uicbugs.cba.uic.edu

woodward@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (10/16/89)

the best manuals i've seen come from a group called o'reilly and
they are part of their nutshell series.

although costly ( $80 for the series of 3 manuals ) they are big
and very well written.  i wish the unix system manuals were as
well written!!

woodward@uicbugs.cba.uic.edu

woodward@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (10/16/89)

the absolute best x-windows documentation i have found is the
o'reilly series of nutshell books on the topic.

if, in fact, you have the bucks ( $80 for the set of three ),
you can't beat 'em.

supposedly, they should soon have a toolkit book out, which should
be equally as excellent.

woodward@uicbugs.cba.uic.edu

carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu (02/03/90)

I don't want to be pushy, but I wonder why I haven't gotten any response
(encore client problem).

is it because it is on an encore, and you can't reproduce the problem?

Why is my window deformed?

Any ideas on why the keyboard and mouse-clicks aren't getting to the
window?

I don't know where to start on the problem, so any suggestions would
be helpful.  Thanks.

-----
John Carey
University of Illinois
Dept. of Computer Science
carey@a.cs.uiuc.edu
{uu-net,pur-ee,convex,...}!uiucdcs!carey

carroll@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/23/90)

/* Written 11:59 pm  Aug  6, 1990 by kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.windows.x */
In article <1990Aug6.171113.12758@hod.uit.no> roar@hpserv1.uit.no (Roar Steen) writes:
 >I keep getting these messages from X:
 >
 >Xlib:  sequence lost (0x23294 > 0x23293) in reply type 0x1!

The most frequent cause of these errors is a bug in the use/allocation of
pointers.
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.windows.x */
I believe that you can get the error if you enter X event reading routines
more than once, for example attempting a read, getting and signal, and then
trying to read in the signal handler.

mcooper@sunc5.cs.uiuc.edu (09/07/90)

Thanks to all who responded.  The problem has been solved, more or less.

After trying many of the various solutions (several termcap entries were sent
to me, none seemed to work quite write) and attempting to drag it out of
terminfo we finally settled on just aliasing aixterm to xterm.  Seems to work
ok, though repoainting the screen after things like 'less' and 'vi' takes
some getting used to.

Again, thanks.

|  "When the going gets weird,        |  Marc Cooper	marcc@ncsa.uiuc.edu   |
|              the weird turn pro."   |                                       |
|		  		      |  National Center for Supercomputing   |
|		 -Hunter S. Thompson  |		    Applications	      |
|  The above opinoins are my own, and do not reflect those of NCSA.   *Yawn*  |