[comp.windows.x] Problems building XVIEW 2.0

x-window@uni-paderborn.de (X-Window {TARGON/SUN}) (08/30/90)

[Sorry if you get this again, I'm not sure my message reached the
world :-) (I said Distribution: World, I think it should be  comp ).
So here it is again: ]

Today I tried to compile XView 2.0 on a SparcStation and on a Sun 3/50
with SunOS 4.0.3. Unfortunately I did not succeed, I got the following
error:

> making all in ./lib/libxvol/frame...
> ln -s ../../libxview/xstrings strings
> rm -f frame.o shared/frame.o
> cc -E -DSHAREDCODE -DSUNSHLIB -O  -I/homes/triton/X11R4/more_contrib/XView/xview2/build/usr/include   -I/usr/include     frame.c \
> | xstr -l _libxview_xstr -c -
> cc -pic -DSHAREDCODE -DSUNSHLIB -O  -I/homes/triton/X11R4/more_contrib/XView/xview2/build/usr/include   -I/usr/include     -c x.c \
> -o shared/frame.o
> cc: Fatal error in cpp: Segmentation fault
> *** Error code 1

Fortunately I found a workaround for this problem:
In line 223 of config/XView.rules insert

	-Qoption cpp -P

after $(CC). Then cpp doesn't dump core anymore.

But this is not the only problem I had (and have) with XView 2.0 .
I tried to print xview2/doc/conversion/Book.ps on our LaserWriter 2 and
on our LaserWriter Plus, but after page 13 each printer says:

  %%[ Error: rangecheck; OffendingCommand: getinterval ]%%
  %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

(pageview from OpenWindows 2.0 dies after page 13, too).
How can I print this document (I need it!).

Next problem:
Where has WIN_EVENT_STATE gone ??? I can`t find it in the header-files,
but cv2xview doesn't complain about it. Remember: I wasn't able to print
the conversion document :-)

And another problem: In xview2/config/XView.obj I had to change the lines

  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPUBLIC),$(PUB_INCDIR),/**/)
  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPUBLIC),$(XVPUB_INCDIR),/**/)
  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPRIVATE),$(PRI_INCDIR),/**/)
  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPRIVATE),$(XVPRI_INCDIR),/**/)

  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPUBLIC),$(PUB_INCDIR),.)
  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPUBLIC),$(XVPUB_INCDIR),.)
  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPRIVATE),$(PRI_INCDIR),.)
  BuildIncludes($(HDRSPRIVATE),$(XVPRI_INCDIR),.)

'cause the first version built symbolic links of the form

  alert.h -> ../../../..//./lib/libxvol/notice/alert.h
                        ^^
in xview2/build/usr/include/xview, and so the header-files couldn't be
found.

Last and least a problem with imake in general:
It should be possible to set StripInstalledPrograms to YES without these
annoying problems with shellscripts (strip doesn't like them:

	[...]
	install -c -s   xmkmf /usr/bin/xview
	install: xmkmf not in a.out format.
	*** Error code 1
        make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
)

Phew, that was all for now.

I hope, someone out there in netland can help me.

Regards,
Swen

PS. Dont't mind my bad english

---->  Swen Thuemmler  *  X-Betreuung  *  <swen@uni-paderborn.de>  <----

jcdixon@cbnewse.att.com (jack.c.dixon) (09/04/90)

I'm trying to build xview2 and am running into so many problems that I
must be doing something wrong.  I'm on a Sun4 running Sun OS 4.1.
I installed the xview2.tar.Z.a[a-i] files, built the Makefiles, and then
did a make World and during the makedepend part I find that header files in
xview_private and olgx_private aren't being found.  In fact, the olgx_private
directory doesn't even exist under build/usr/include.  Here are a few of
the hundreds of error messages that come spewing out:

depending in ./lib/libxvin/attr...
../../.././util/makedepend/makedepend -s "# DO NOT DELETE" --  -I../../../. -I..
/../.././build/usr/include      -- attr.c attr_copy.c attr_cu.c attr_util.c
../../.././util/makedepend/makedepend:  attr.c: ../../.././util/makedepend/maked
epend:  cannot find include file "xview_private/attr_impl.h"

making all in ./lib/libolgx...
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `olgx_private/olgx_impl.h'

I managed to limp along past this by manually copying the needed .h files
into the private directories, but then I later run into an unresolved
structure called "colormapseg" referenced in /usr/include/cg9var.h.

Anyway, the README that comes with xview2 says that it builds cleanly on
Sun OS so I assume I missed something in the installation procedure.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.
Jack Dixon,  AT&T
{ ...!att!vogon!jcd, jcd@vogon.att.com }

chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov (Chris Schanzle) (09/07/90)

jcdixon@cbnewse.att.com (jack.c.dixon) writes:
>I'm trying to build xview2 and am running into so many problems that I
>must be doing something wrong.  I'm on a Sun4 running Sun OS 4.1.
>I installed the xview2.tar.Z.a[a-i] files, built the Makefiles, and then
>did a make World and during the makedepend part I find that header files in
>xview_private and olgx_private aren't being found.  In fact, the olgx_private
>directory doesn't even exist under build/usr/include.  Here are a few of
>the hundreds of error messages that come spewing out:

>depending in ./lib/libxvin/attr...
>../../.././util/makedepend/makedepend -s "# DO NOT DELETE" --  -I../../../. -I..
>/../.././build/usr/include      -- attr.c attr_copy.c attr_cu.c attr_util.c
>../../.././util/makedepend/makedepend:  attr.c: ../../.././util/makedepend/maked
>epend:  cannot find include file "xview_private/attr_impl.h"

>making all in ./lib/libolgx...
>make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `olgx_private/olgx_impl.h'

>Anyway, the README that comes with xview2 says that it builds cleanly on
>Sun OS so I assume I missed something in the installation procedure.
>Jack Dixon,  AT&T
>{ ...!att!vogon!jcd, jcd@vogon.att.com }

I had similar problems too -- I was beginning to wonder if this
installation was going to be as difficult as X11R4!!  But, to my
surprise, I found out that I had to tell Imake that TOPDIR is not
TOPDIR of X11R4, but now TOPDIR of the XVIEW2 source tree!  After
that, the build was trivial.  To build XVIEW2, I added the following
to the bottom of site.def:

#define TopDir /usr/local/src/X11r4/xview2
BINDIR = /usr/bin/X11
#define TOPDIR /usr/local/src/X11r4/xview2

Could someone please add this little tidbit of info to the docs??

As a postscript (no tm :-), I was somewhat dismayed at watching this
bugger compile for about 4 hours (about that of the X11R4), chugging
and chugging, only to create half a meg of executables in my
/usr/bin/xview directory and a couple shared libraries (libxview.*,
libolgx.*)!!  Your milage may vary.  :-)

"If you can read this, you're not              Chris Schanzle
 looking through the Hubble telescope."        chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov