[comp.windows.x] XAPPLRESDIR, XFILESEARCHPATH, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH

garyo@prometheus.think.com (Gary Oberbrunner) (08/29/90)

Where are these environment variables documented?  Are there any others
like them?  What is the recommended policy for using them?

				- Gary Oberbrunner
				Thinking Machines Corporation
				245 First St
				Cambridge, MA 02142
				garyo@think.com

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (09/01/90)

In article <GARYO.90Aug28230509@prometheus.think.com> garyo@prometheus.think.com (Gary Oberbrunner) writes:
>Where are these environment variables documented?  Are there any others
>like them?  What is the recommended policy for using them?

     Read the Mit Xt documentation, or the Motif book by G. Young.

     But I suspect you mean something different. Yes, OpenWindows 2.0
     does set those to point into the OpenWindows tree.
     I don't like it. I don't think it was intended to be that way.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (09/07/90)

In article <803@auto-trol.UUCP> marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) writes:
>In article <GARYO.90Aug28230509@prometheus.think.com> garyo@prometheus.think.com (Gary Oberbrunner) writes:
>>Where are these environment variables documented?  Are there any others
>>like them?  What is the recommended policy for using them?
>>

>     Read the Mit Xt documentation, or the Motif book by G. Young.
>
>     But I suspect you mean something different. Yes, OpenWindows 2.0
>     does set those to point into the OpenWindows tree.
>     I don't like it. I don't think it was intended to be that way.

Yeah, in retrospect it would have been better to add a component to
XFILESEARCHPATH rather than to set XAPPLRESDIR as the openwin script
does now.  We'll get this right for the next release.

In the meantime, it is possible to get around it by setting XFILESEARCHPATH
to something like the following:

    $HOME/%T/%N%S:$OPENWINHOME/lib/%T/%N%S

where in this example the file type (e.g. app-defaults, help, bitmap, etc.)
is located inside $HOME.

--
						Rick Heli
						Internet:  rheli@sun.COM