[comp.windows.x] XLookupString status argument nyi

ckl@uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) (09/04/90)

We were using Motif 1.0.n on a DECstation using DECs Xlib.  Composing
diacritical characters such as german ``umlaut'' using the compose
key worked just fine.  After porting that to a triton computer using
the original Xr4 Xlib, the compose key did not work anymore.  We found
that this seems to be due to the the status argument of
XtLookupString() being not implemented in Xr4.

	int XLookupString (event, buffer, nbytes, keysym, status)
	register XKeyEvent *event;
	char *buffer;  /* buffer */
	int nbytes;    /* space in buffer for characters */
	KeySym *keysym;
	XComposeStatus *status;    /* not implemented */
	{
		/* lots of dragons ... */
	}

is this a dec proprietary extension or is the code in the public domain?
any other workarounds?

christoph

btw: the manual states that status is not implemented in release 1 or 2 :-)

--
# include <std/disclaimer.h>
Christoph Kuenkel/UniWare GmbH       Kantstr. 152, 1000 Berlin 12, West Germany

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/06/90)

In article <2464@uwbull.uwbln.UUCP>, ckl@uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) writes:
|> We were using Motif 1.0.n on a DECstation using DECs Xlib.  Composing
|> diacritical characters such as german ``umlaut'' using the compose
|> key worked just fine.  After porting that to a triton computer using
|> the original Xr4 Xlib, the compose key did not work anymore.

While the Xlib spec does provide a hook for compose processing (the
last argument in XLookupString), the X11R4 sample Xlib does not
implement this.  DEC added compose processing to it's Xlib to support
European keyboards.  As international support is pretty popular these
days, other vendors may have done the same to their Xlibs.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.232804.11515@wrl.dec.com> klee@wsl.dec.com writes:

>In article <2464@uwbull.uwbln.UUCP>, ckl@uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) writes:
>|> We were using Motif 1.0.n on a DECstation using DECs Xlib.  Composing
>|> diacritical characters such as german ``umlaut'' using the compose
>|> key worked just fine.  After porting that to a triton computer using
>|> the original Xr4 Xlib, the compose key did not work anymore.
>
>While the Xlib spec does provide a hook for compose processing (the
>last argument in XLookupString), the X11R4 sample Xlib does not
>implement this.  DEC added compose processing to it's Xlib to support
>European keyboards.  As international support is pretty popular these
>days, other vendors may have done the same to their Xlibs.

As a matter of fact, Sun provides support for compose processing with
OpenWindows version 2.

Since vendor Xlib's are supporting this, it's important that applications
take care to either make sure the last argument to XLookupString() (a
pointer to an XComposeStatus) points to valid memory or be NULL.  Passing
in invalid pointers can cause memory trashing problems.

--
						Rick Heli
						Internet:  rheli@sun.COM