[comp.windows.x] xwd

poser@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) (08/31/90)

	I often want to generate a hardcopy image of several windows,
which can be done with the -root option to xwd. However, this results
in an image of the entire display, which is not always what I want.
I would like to be able to specify either that I want an image
containing a list of windows, or to be able to specify a rectangle
within the root window that I want dumped. This might actually be useful
within other windows as well as it would provide a way of leaving out
an unwanted caption or something like that.

	Is there a way to do this currently? I can't find an xwd or xpr
option that will do the job. If not, I'd love to see this feature
appear in xwd in R5.

						Bill

achan@sparkle.nec.com (Amy Chan) (08/31/90)

In article <15119@csli.Stanford.EDU> poser@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) writes:

>	I often want to generate a hardcopy image of several windows,
>which can be done with the -root option to xwd. However, this results
>in an image of the entire display, which is not always what I want.
>I would like to be able to specify either that I want an image
>containing a list of windows, or to be able to specify a rectangle
>within the root window that I want dumped. This might actually be useful
>within other windows as well as it would provide a way of leaving out
>an unwanted caption or something like that.

Bruce Schuchardt(bruce@slc.com) wrote a program 'xgrabsc' to allow
capture of arbitrary portions of the screen, and write its output
in multiple formats. The sources are in articles 209 and 210 of
comp.sources.x.

Amy Chan
achan@tdd.sj.nec.com

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (09/07/90)

In article <15119@csli.Stanford.EDU> poser@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) writes:

   I would like to be able to specify either that I want an image
   containing a list of windows, or to be able to specify a rectangle
   within the root window that I want dumped. This might actually be useful
   within other windows as well as it would provide a way of leaving out
   an unwanted caption or something like that.

Get the program contrib/asnap.tar.Z.  It will allow you to rubberband
a region on the screen, and will dump the result in either xwd format
or Andrew raster format to a file.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763