[comp.windows.x] better editor than x

mferrare@adelphi.ua.oz.au (Mark Ferraretto) (09/04/90)

I know this was asked just recently but I missed out on getting the message
properly.
	I've just installed X-windows on our sun 3/60's here.  All those
used to running textedit are grumbling about not having a decent editor under
X (xedit is a bit basic).  Does anyone know where I can get my grimy little
hands on (preferably sources for) a text editor for X that has the same
capabilities that textedit does?
| Mark Ferraretto                       | mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au |
| Dept Physics and Mathematical Physics | Phone:    +61 8 228 5428         |
| University of Adelaide                |----------------------------------|

jimf@SABER.COM (09/04/90)

|	I've just installed X-windows on our sun 3/60's here.  All those
|used to running textedit are grumbling about not having a decent editor under
|X (xedit is a bit basic).  Does anyone know where I can get my grimy little
|hands on (preferably sources for) a text editor for X that has the same
|capabilities that textedit does?

GNU emacs works for me, although it's not well integrated with the
mouse.  Certainly it's more full-featured than textedit.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

>	I've just installed X-windows on our sun 3/60's here.  All those
>used to running textedit are grumbling about not having a decent editor under
>X (xedit is a bit basic).  Does anyone know where I can get my grimy little
>hands on (preferably sources for) a text editor for X that has the same
>capabilities that textedit does?

Grab the XView sources - a version comes with the X11R4 source, but
there's a newer version on "expo" - and bring it up.  It comes with
source for a text editor called "textedit" that has the same
capabilities as "textedit" does.... :-)  (Modulo the XView one being Open
Look and the SunView one not being Open Look, of course.)

carroll@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/05/90)

/* Written  9:01 am  Sep  4, 1990 by jimf@SABER.COM in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.windows.x */
>|Does anyone know where I can get my grimy little
>|hands on (preferably sources for) a text editor for X that has the same
>|capabilities that textedit does?
>
>GNU emacs works for me, although it's not well integrated with the
>mouse.
You could also try Epoch, the multi-X-windowing version of GNU_Emacs. It's
avaiable via anon FTP from cs.uiuc.edu. 3.2beta is the most recent version.
There's even a manual and a mailing list.

Alan M. Carroll                Barbara/Marilyn in '92 :
carroll@cs.uiuc.edu            + This time, why not choose the better halves?
Epoch Development Team
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll

moore@srl.mew.mei.co.jp (W. Phillip Moore) (09/05/90)

In article <9009041401.AA03364@armory> jimf@SABER.COM writes:

   GNU emacs works for me, although it's not well integrated with the
   mouse.  Certainly it's more full-featured than textedit.

Actually, on our Sun's (several models) we get pretty mouse integration by
using the unsupported oldXMenu.  The installation advises against this, but
I couldn't resist.  We've been using it for the last year and never had any
major problems.

The oldXMenu gives you mouse driven cut and paste, and menu for switching
buffers (the most useful) and another set of cute stacked menus for help.

Not great, but useful.

W. Phillip Moore					   Phone: 06-908-1431
LSI Research Group					     FAX: 06-906-7251
Semiconductor Research Laboratory		  E-mail: moore@mew.mei.co.jp
       Matsushita Electric Works, Ltd.	1048 Kadoma, Osaka 571, Japan

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (09/07/90)

>|used to running textedit are grumbling about not having a decent editor under

You're talking about the suntools program "textedit"?

>|hands on (preferably sources for) a text editor for X that has the same
>|capabilities that textedit does?

I know little about textedit since I've not had to run suntools much in
the last couple of years, but "ez" from the Andrew suite is a point/clicky,
rich-texty, emacsy editor that you might want to try.  The Andrew distribution
is on tape-4 of x11r4, and 6 patches are available from expo or
emsworth.andrew.cmu.edu (that might be emsworth.itc.cmu.edu).

--

beak is                                                          beak is not