[comp.windows.x] What do those keys mean???

timbomb@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Tim Mansfield) (09/05/90)

On an Apollo keyboard there's a whole bunch of mystery keys, which don't
have any clear mapping to entries in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h.

Does anyone know if you can access these keys from X and if so what their
names are???

The ones I can't work out are:

Pop		Ins/Mark	Line Del	Char Del	Cut/Copy
Undo/Paste	Move/Grow	|<-		Shell/Cmd	->|
Next Wndw	Again		Read		Save/Edit	Abort/Exit
Help/Hold	<left page, the left arrow in a box thingy>	<right page>

					Help,
						Tim

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/06/90)

In article <4793@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, timbomb@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Tim
Mansfield) writes:
|> On an Apollo keyboard there's a whole bunch of mystery keys, which don't
|> have any clear mapping to entries in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h.

The mapping of special keys to keysyms is largely implementation
dependent.  One easy way to see what they are in your implementation is
to just press them, get the keycode from the key press event, and do a
XLookupString or XKeycodeToKeysym on the key code.  The xev program in
the MIT distribution does this, printing out the keysym name.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) (09/06/90)

Use xev to find out the details of events that these keys produce.

~chuck

--
+--------------------+   Chuck Ocheret, Sr. Staff Engineer   +---------------+
|chuck@APT.Morgan.COM|       Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.      |(212) 703-4474 |

ced@apollo.HP.COM (Carl Davidson) (09/06/90)

From article <4793@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, by timbomb@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Tim Mansfield):
> On an Apollo keyboard there's a whole bunch of mystery keys, which don't
> have any clear mapping to entries in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h.
>
> Does anyone know if you can access these keys from X and if so what their
> names are???
>
> The ones I can't work out are:
>
> Pop		Ins/Mark	Line Del	Char Del	Cut/Copy
> Undo/Paste	Move/Grow	|<-		Shell/Cmd	->|
> Next Wndw	Again		Read		Save/Edit	Abort/Exit
> Help/Hold	<left page, the left arrow in a box thingy>	<right page>
>

> 					Help,
> 						Tim

Tim,

The keysyms you are looking for are defined in the file
/usr/X11/include/ap_keysym.h. The one on my system looks like:

/******************************************************************
Copyright 1987 by Apollo Computer Inc., Chelmsford, Massachusetts.

                        All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, duplicate, change, and distribute this software and
its documentation for any purpose and without fee is granted, provided
that the above copyright notice appear in such copy and that this
copyright notice appear in all supporting documentation, and that the
names of Apollo Computer Inc. or MIT not be used in advertising or publicity
pertaining to distribution of the software without written prior permission.
******************************************************************/

#define apXK_LineDel            0x1000FF00
#define apXK_CharDel            0x1000FF01
#define apXK_Copy               0x1000FF02
#define apXK_Cut                0x1000FF03
#define apXK_Paste              0x1000FF04
#define apXK_Move               0x1000FF05
#define apXK_Grow               0x1000FF06
#define apXK_Cmd                0x1000FF07
#define apXK_Shell              0x1000FF08
#define apXK_LeftBar            0x1000FF09
#define apXK_RightBar           0x1000FF0A
#define apXK_LeftBox            0x1000FF0B
#define apXK_RightBox           0x1000FF0C
#define apXK_UpBox              0x1000FF0D
#define apXK_DownBox            0x1000FF0E
#define apXK_Pop                0x1000FF0F
#define apXK_Read               0x1000FF10
#define apXK_Edit               0x1000FF11
#define apXK_Save               0x1000FF12
#define apXK_Exit               0x1000FF13
#define apXK_Repeat             0x1000FF14

#define apXK_KP_parenleft       0x1000FFA8
#define apXK_KP_parenright      0x1000FFA9

There is a widely used Emacs profile here at Apollo that binds these keys and
many of the standard ones to their corresponding Emacs functions so that
Emacs and the DM use the same key for the same function. It makes
transitioning to Emacs in shared-mode X much easier.

Regards,
Carl

Carl Davidson  (508) 256-6600 x4361    | In the High and Far-Off Time, the
The Apollo Systems Divison of          | Elephant, Oh Best Beloved, had no
The Hewlett-Packard Company            | trunk.
DOMAIN: ced@apollo.HP.COM              |  -- Rudyard Kipling, Just So Stories

rod@apollo.HP.COM (Rod Owen) (09/06/90)

The left keypad keys on Apollo keyboards have their
keysyms defined in /usr/include/X11/ap_keysym.h,
e.g.,

#define apXK_LeftBar            0x1000FF09
#define apXK_RightBar           0x1000FF0A
#define apXK_LeftBox            0x1000FF0B
#define apXK_RightBox           0x1000FF0C
#define apXK_UpBox              0x1000FF0D
#define apXK_DownBox            0x1000FF0E

geb@amber.Rational.COM (Gary Barnes) (09/07/90)

All of the keys on the Apollo keyboard are available for use, if the
Domain window manager has been disabled.  This command turns it off:

	/usr/apollo/bin/xdmc wmgr -off

You should have a little spriral bound book called something like
"Getting Started with Apollo X Windows" that tells you all about your
window management options.  This also implies that you are running one
of the X window managers.  (uwm, twm, vtvm, etc.  Apollo supplies uwm.)

The keys are defined in a file called /usr/include/X11/ap_keysym.h.
The names are straight forward transliterations of what is on the
keytops.  For the keys with graphics, the names are the same as are
used by the Domain window manager documentation.

Gary		geb@Rational.Com

valante_g@apollo.HP.COM (Glen E Valante) (09/07/90)

Mansfield) writes:
> On an Apollo keyboard there's a whole bunch of mystery keys, which don't
> have any clear mapping to entries in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h.
>
> Does anyone know if you can access these keys from X and if so what their
> names are???
>
> The ones I can't work out are:
>
> Pop		Ins/Mark	Line Del	Char Del	Cut/Copy
> Undo/Paste	Move/Grow	|<-		Shell/Cmd	->|
> Next Wndw	Again		Read		Save/Edit	Abort/Exit
> Help/Hold	<left page, the left arrow in a box thingy>	<right page>
>

> 					Help,
> 						Tim

Tim,

  You are talking about the "Grey" editing keys.  You can use them in X.  To
find out the names of each key, use the xev client and it will tell you....
Also look in /usr/X11/lib/keyboards/kb3.xprkbd for the keycode and names.  To
use these keys, you must make sure they are not excluded from the X server.
The default environment with install causes these not be be used by the server.
Look at "-K" switch for Xapollo for a good explaination.

--glen
  Glen Valante                     | These are my opinions...
  Apollo / Hewlett-Packard         |
  North American Customer Support  |
________

timbomb@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (trojan) (09/07/90)

Thanks to everyone who responded, the answer appears to be:
run xev and press the keys in the xev window.

Well, I've done that and the bad news appears to be that none of the keys
I asked about ever get heard by X. Only the four arrow keys, the standard
keyboard, the ten function keys and the numeric keypad seem to generate events.

Sigh...
					Thanks,
						Tim

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (09/07/90)

In article <4803@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>
timbomb@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (trojan) writes:
> Thanks to everyone who responded, the answer appears to be:
> run xev and press the keys in the xev window.
>
> Well, I've done that and the bad news appears to be that none of the keys
> I asked about ever get heard by X. Only the four arrow keys, the standard
> keyboard, the ten function keys and the numeric keypad seem to generate
> events.
>
> Sigh...
> 					Thanks,
> 						Tim

Don't be so glum, pardner!  The Apollo X server can be configured to
"exclude" certain keys from being recognized.  This is so that only the DM
sees them.  In my /etc/rc, Xapollo is started with a command like:

  /etc/Xapollo -K /usr/X11/lib/keyboard/keyboard.config -D1 s+r-

The keyboard.config file mostly contains comments and lines of the form:

  exclude UpBox

If you comment out the appropriate lines, X will get the events you want.
BTW, RTFM :-)

Glenn P. Parker        Bitstream, Inc.
uunet!huxley!glenn     215 First Street
glenn@bitstream.com    Cambridge, MA 02142-1270