[comp.windows.x] X proto extensions for 2D image processing

arne@rrzbu.hanse.de (Arne Ludwig) (09/06/90)

Do any X protocol extensions exist, that deal with 2D image processing
i.e. implement filtering, FFT etc. on window/framebuffer contents?

Note that I'm not interested in 3D image rendering as done by PEX.

More specifically, I'd like to give the users of my server the power
of the special image processing capabilities of the graphics hardware,
without having them interfere with X's notion of the window contents.
I'm not sure how PEX does this cleanly, but it seems to me, that this
needs to be done in the server.

I am aware that this is - strictly speaking - against the spirit of
the X protocol intended to be used for displaying - not processing -
of image data.

On the other hand, inventing my own XGL/DGA (Sun's client side version
of PEX ;-) is not an option, because only one process at a time may use
the device.  This also does not seem to be the best possible solution,
if networked use is intended.

--
Arne Ludwig		arne@rrzbu.hanse.de	...uunet!??????!rrzbu!arne

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (09/07/90)

In article <1626@rrzbu.hanse.de> arne@rrzbu.hanse.de writes:
>Do any X protocol extensions exist, that deal with 2D image processing
>i.e. implement filtering, FFT etc. on window/framebuffer contents?

You may have to write very specialized extensions yourself.
There are examples--shared memory, non-rectangular windows--in the
distribution tape.  From these examples it seems that extensions can be
isolated and additive, so they don't interfere with the base code.