[comp.windows.x] Anti-motif crybabies should chill out, get a *life*

gjc@mitech.com (09/05/90)

Why must we have 5 or 10 messages from ANTI-MOTIF crybabies every
time a simple announcement about MOTIF is posted to this mailing list?

The usual claptrap, boring, boring, boring.

Just consider this little fact:
 * It is SUN demo center policy that NO VENDOR MAY DEMONSTRATE ANY
   APPLICATION which uses MOTIF.

From what I saw at DECWORLD it is evident that DIGITAL for one has no such
policy against OPEN-LOOK.

Maybe in the future the crybabies can limit messages to one-liners only,
or just a subject line: "I HATE MOTIF, I HATE DIGITAL/HP/IBM, I LOVE SUN"

Or maybe it isn't that, maybe subject: "I CANNOT UNDERSTAND LICENSING, I ..."

-gjc

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (09/06/90)

In article <4875@mitech.com>, gjc@mitech.com writes:
> Why must we have 5 or 10 messages from ANTI-MOTIF crybabies every
> time a simple announcement about MOTIF is posted to this mailing list?

     Got a hanky?

> Just consider this little fact:
>  * It is SUN demo center policy that NO VENDOR MAY DEMONSTRATE ANY
>    APPLICATION which uses MOTIF.
>
> From what I saw at DECWORLD it is evident that DIGITAL for one has no such
> policy against OPEN-LOOK.

     There is a difference, of course, between an in-house demo center and
a vendor exhibit.  There were plenty of Motif things running on Suns at
SIGGRAPH, for example.  I wonder how much OPEN LOOK stuff runs on DEC
machines at in-house DEC demo centers?

> Maybe in the future the crybabies can limit messages to one-liners only,
> or just a subject line: "I HATE MOTIF, I HATE DIGITAL/HP/IBM, I LOVE SUN"

     Feeling the pressure, eh?  Six of every ten workstations sold today are
SPARC-based.  Sun market share is approaching 40% by dollar volume.  Sun will
outsell DEC by a factor of 5 to 1 this year.  And just imagine what will
happen when those Japanese SPARC clones hit the US early next year.  Man, I
can't wait for my $2,995 SPARC machine to put on my desk at home.

     Don't think of it as giving in to mob mentality!  Think of it as jumping
on the Sun bandwagon!

> Or maybe it isn't that, maybe subject: "I CANNOT UNDERSTAND LICENSING, I ..."

     Well, I understand that free, open products cost less and are more
popular than closed, licensed ones.  Sun did a good thing by giving OPEN LOOK
away, and this brings well-deserved pressure to bear on OSF to cough up an
open standard available to everyone.  Siemens recently bit the bullet and
committed to running SVr4 on their new machines later this year.  A founding
member of OSF!  Who's next to bail out?  As Larry Dooling says, it's really
hard to load viewgraphs and press releases into your machine.  And as I've
said, the only thing open about OSF is their mouth.

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912			AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902			FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}

I'm glad you asked, son.  Being popular
	is the most important thing in the world.	-- Homer Simpson

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (09/07/90)

In article <4265@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>In article <4875@mitech.com>, gjc@mitech.com writes:
>> Why must we have 5 or 10 messages from ANTI-MOTIF crybabies every
>> time a simple announcement about MOTIF is posted to this mailing list?
>
>     Feeling the pressure, eh?  Six of every ten workstations sold today are
>SPARC-based.  Sun market share is approaching 40% by dollar volume.  Sun will
>outsell DEC by a factor of 5 to 1 this year.  And just imagine what will
>happen when those Japanese SPARC clones hit the US early next year.  Man, I
>can't wait for my $2,995 SPARC machine to put on my desk at home.

     Well, I can tell you what would happen if SPARC (god forbid) ever
     dominated the workstation market:

     You will consider IBM an open, free and friendly organization
     compared to Sun of those days.

(-)

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (09/08/90)

In article <811@auto-trol.UUCP> marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) writes:

>     Well, I can tell you what would happen if SPARC (god forbid) ever
>     dominated the workstation market:
>
>     ******************************************************************
>     You will consider IBM an open, free and friendly organization
>     compared to Sun of those days.
>     ******************************************************************

First: SPARC does dominate the market according to most pundits
(depending on how you interpret the share of high-end 386/486
machines, and how you define dominate).  Furthermore, a substantial
fraction of the of machines in the sub-$5000 workstation market (i.e.
the machines that really crank up your installed base) slated for
release this year are SPARC based (the rest are 680x0...again,
depending on your feelings about 386/486 machines).

Second: This IBM comment...you have some sort of proof for this (like,
say, IBM licensing it's CPU technology to 3 or 4 fab houses, and
having RIOS machines built by 4 or 5 other manufacturers), or are you
just spouting anti-Sun crap.  I say crap.

The worst thing about these flame wars (Sun v. everyone, IBM v.
everyone, OL v. Motif, etc.) is that the facts fall by the way-side,
and we get slobbering peons who can't resist the magical draw of
the 'F' key to spread this kind of unsubstantiated, bigoted crud...

--

	ken seefried iii		ken@dali.gatech.edu

	"Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."