[comp.windows.x] Can't set borderColor

johns@macondo.ccsf.caltech.edu (John Salmon) (09/01/90)

I have tried many combinations of setting *borderColor, *BorderColor,
XTerm*borderColor, etc, etc.  in my .Xdefaults file, as well as
similar machinations in my .twmrc.  Nothing I do seems to affect the
color of the borders that I see on the screen.  The problem appears on
a Decstation3100 (DEC's server), Sparcstation (X11R4 and xview
servers).  It occurs with the twm window manager as well as dxwm
on the Decstation.  Perhaps relevant:  if I kill the window manager,
I see the lovely colors I have specified in .Xdefaults, but running
without a window manager isn't really an option, is it?  I had
similar difficulties with setting the cursor and mouse colors in
emacs windows.  Is this likely to be related?

What am I missing?

Additionally, could someone provide a simple explanation of the
purpose of the two types of separators, '.' and '*' in .Xdefaults
files, as well as some rule of thumb about when to say, e.g.:
Emacs*BorderColor vis a vis emacs*borderColor

Thanks,
John Salmon		 Internet: johns@delilah.ccsf.caltech.edu
356-48 Caltech		 UUCP: johns%delilah.ccsf.caltech.edu@uunet.uu.net
Pasadena, CA 91125 USA	 Bitnet: johns@caltech.bitnet
			 delilah.ccsf.caltech.edu=[131.215.145.137]

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.171825.13477@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu>,
johns@macondo.ccsf.caltech.edu (John Salmon) writes:
|> Nothing I do seems to affect the
|> color of the borders that I see on the screen.

Top level window borders are generally overwritten by the window
manager, thus you must set the colors through the window manager.

|> Additionally, could someone provide a simple explanation of the
|> purpose of the two types of separators, '.' and '*' in .Xdefaults
|> files, as well as some rule of thumb about when to say, e.g.:
|> Emacs*BorderColor vis a vis emacs*borderColor

For multi-level resources . matches exactly 1 level, while * matches
any number of levels.  Emacs vs. emacs and BorderColor vs. borderColor
is specified by the client, but generally the capitalized names are the
class names while the non-capitalized names are the instance names.  Yes,
resources are heirarchical and object oriented.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Aug31.171825.13477@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu>, johns@macondo.ccsf.caltech.edu (John Salmon) writes:
> I have tried many combinations of setting *borderColor, *BorderColor,
> XTerm*borderColor, etc, etc.  in my .Xdefaults file, as well as
> similar machinations in my .twmrc.

In your .twmrc file put:

    BorderTileBackground "navy"
    BorderTileForeground "navy"

I don't know what
    BorderColor "navy"
is supposed to do.  It sure didn't affect anything that
I noticed.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.