[net.news] Rn -- ..newsrc ??

iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) (03/19/85)

\\  From:  David J. Iannucci  (iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP)

         Our rn seems to insist on putting a file called ..newsrc in
one's $HOME.  Take it out, and rn puts it right back again. It looks
just like .newsrc.  Who knows what this file is for (if anything) and
how to get rid of it if it is the result of a bug?
-Thanks
--
Dave Iannucci                             ihnp4!allegra \
St. Joseph's University                 psuvax1!burdvax - !sjuvax!iannucci

"A witty saying proves nothing. "    --Voltaire

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/26/85)

In article <969@sjuvax.UUCP> iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) writes:

>         Our rn seems to insist on putting a file called ..newsrc in
>one's $HOME.  Take it out, and rn puts it right back again. It looks
>just like .newsrc.  Who knows what this file is for (if anything) and
>how to get rid of it if it is the result of a bug?

  Do you have a .oldnewsrc file in your home directory?. This is a backup
copy of .newsrc maintained by rn and maybe your news administrator decided to
name it ..newsrc (since the name of the backup file can be set by changing
a #define in common.h).
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell