[comp.windows.x] FATAL SERVER BUG WITH X11R4, SUN 3/80,SunOS 4.? HELP !!

sequeira@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (Horace L. Sequeira) (09/04/90)

Help:  I've been trying to make X11 release 4 on a Sun 3/80 with
Gnu's Gcc (version 1.37.1) compiler. When I try to run xinit or Xsun I get the
following error :

Getting interface configuration: Operation not supported on socket

Fatal server bug!
no screens found

I've run all the patches,fixed errors in ERRATA and run Gcc's fixincludes.
The error occurs in file  /$TOP/mit/server/os/4.2bsd/access.c.

Does anyone know what the problem is ? Any hints will be appreciated.

PLEASE EMAIL THE RESPONSES. I DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GROUP REGULARLY.

  Horace Sequeira, CS Dept, McBryde Hall,VaTech, Blacksburg, Va 24061-0106
   [ Hello : (703) 231-9116    ( Work ) ]
   [ Email : sequeira@vtrtsl.cs.vt.edu

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/06/90)

> Help:  I've been trying to make X11 release 4 on a Sun 3/80 with
> Gnu's Gcc (version 1.37.1) compiler.  When I try to run xinit or Xsun
> I get the following error :

> Getting interface configuration: Operation not supported on socket

> Fatal server bug!
> no screens found

> I've run all the patches,fixed errors in ERRATA and run Gcc's
> fixincludes.

Your fixincludes run probably didn't work for some reason.  Do a simple
test:

#include <sys/ioctl.h>
SIOCGIFCONF

Run that through cc -E and gcc -E.  The last line of output is the
piece of interest; it should be identical (modulo irrelevant
differences like whitespace).  If the gcc version has 'x' where the cc
version has 'i', your fixincludes run didn't work for some reason or
other.  If they are identical, try running a make clean in mit/server
and rebuilding, just to make sure everything gets compiled with the
proper include files. If that still doesn't help I have no further
suggestions, short of poking around with a debugger....

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

larryp@sco.COM (Larry Philps) (09/06/90)

In article <566@creatures.cs.vt.edu> sequeira@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (Horace L. Sequeira) writes:

>Help:  I've been trying to make X11 release 4 on a Sun 3/80 with
>Gnu's Gcc (version 1.37.1) compiler. When I try to run xinit or Xsun I get the
>following error :
>
>Getting interface configuration: Operation not supported on socket
>
>Fatal server bug!
>no screens found

I had the same problem.  It is a bug in gcc not in X.  I tracked it down
to the fact that gcc was botching the ioctl calls in the server init code.
I did not try to find the bug in gcc, but rather just recompiled X with
the Sun C compiler.  All worked fine after that.

---
Larry Philps,	 SCO Canada, Inc (Formerly: HCR Corporation)
Postman:  130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor, Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
InterNet: larryp@sco.COM  or larryp%scocan@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:	 {uunet,utcsri,sco}!scocan!larryp
Phone:	 (416) 922-1937
Fax:	 (416) 922-8397

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/09/90)

>> Getting interface configuration: Operation not supported on socket
> I had the same problem.  It is a bug in gcc not in X.

No, it's a flaw in the installation of gcc.  fixincludes was not run,
was run incorrectly, is buggy, or the include files were damaged after
the run.  See the recent Frequently-Asked Questions posting for more.