[comp.windows.x] Tools and Rules

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (09/09/90)

mouse@SHAMASH.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (der Mouse) writes:
>The major problem with this is lack of configurability.  I certainly
>wouldn't be using X right now if it mandated someone else's idea of a
>nice interface [...]

>Tools not rules - and if you want to implement rules, be our guest.
>					der Mouse

  I'd like to attack this whole line of discussion, if I may (:-)).[aim]

  I claim that [situation]
	1) the X programmer interface is at a very low level,
	   that of a set of primitive classes and their first few
	   layers of generalization, addressed in a low-level language.
	2) the appearance of well-written X applications is substantially
	   malleable through the manipulation of configuration parameters
	3) some aspects of this malleability are blocked by ill-advised
	   policy decisions by particular (eg, OSF/UI) class authors.

  One can do several things about this: [courses]
	0) live with it
	1) complain
	2) try to arrive at a single standard
	3) write programs which are malleable enough to function
	   under various rule regimes.
	4) replace x

  I recommend (3),[conclusion] and point to the existence of VHLLs like
Uniface (a Unix 4GL and its window system, from Inside Automation in
Amsterdam) as a proof of concept.
  Postulate writing a serious high-level window-description and -action
language in C, and amortize the effort of getting it malleable (hmmn, that
begins to sound a lot like ``portable'') over many many simple applications
written in it.  Then consider writing an X application that allows one to
interactively create and edit such, with a VHLL component, all to make it
easy for ``ordinary'' application programmers to use a subset of its
capabilities.

  With this, the apparent dichotomy between tools and rules disappears: they

--dave (free X from the experts! give my users a 4GL) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave or just