[comp.windows.x] tvtwm ideas

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (09/08/90)

I've been using tvtwm, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I have a few
problems/suggestions.  Comments anyone?

 o  It warps the mouse too much.  When I de-iconify a window, I don't want the
    mouse warped to the center of the window.  Is there any way to get this?

 o  I like having icons placed automatically by IconRegion, but when I move an
    icon by hand, I want it to stay moved!  If I move an icon out of the
    iconregion, uniconify it, and iconify it again, it is Most Frustratingly
    repositioned.

 o  It's great that the StartIconified feature lets you have -iconic
    functionality for programs (like Emacs) which don't support it, but it
    would also be nice if there was a way to force -icongeometry for programs
    which don't support it (like Emacs :-)).

 o  It would be nice if icon stacking were smarter, and would pack the icons
    in rather than laying them all out in a grid.  It also sometimes will
    place one icon over another if you move some by hand.

 o  When selecting f.identify over an icon, it would be nice to see the
    position of the icon itself.

 o  I'd like it if there were two geometry specs printed by f.identify,
    one relative to topleft, and one relative to bottomright.  Usually when I
    look at this, it's because I want to copy the geom spec to my init file,
    and sometimes the numbers are more appropriate relative to the bottom.

 o  IconManagers are nice, but they don't have pictures in them!  If there
    was a switch to put real icons in the icon managers, they'd could be
    configured to be a NeXT-like icon dock.

 o  I'd like to be able to turn off the title text under certain icons.

 o  I'd like a way to change the names of icons after they exist, like uwm
    does maybe.

 o  We should have more control over the monochrome colors in the panner -
    in color it's possible to specify what the colors of the panner analogs
    of certain windows are, so it should be possible to specify different
    grayscales too.  Right now the panner is just a big black blob.

 o  Another way to make the panner entities more legible in monochrome would
    be to be able to control the color of their borders.  I suppose this is
    because of my particular init file, but in my panner, icons are drawn as
    black boxes with white outlines, but all other windows are drawn as black
    boxes with black outlines.  Ick.

 o  Icon manager windows should be of resource class "Twm" instead of
    "Untitled" so that I can talk about all Twm-produced windows in one
    expression.

 o  I think it would be cool if you could configure it so that click-drag on
    the root window scrolled the desktop.  Scrolling the whole bitmap would
    probably be too slow, but a realtime pan of the window outlines should be
    possible.

Not that tvtwm isn't cool now, these are just a few things that come to mind...
Oh yeah, here's an actual bug, a weird one:

 o  sometimes tvtwm picks a window and makes it be roughly 100x100 after
    mapping it.  I've seen it happen to xterms, emacses, and xview windows -
    it will draw the outline of the window waiting for me to click, but
    whether I just click left or select a different size, it maps it too
    small.  Now, it seems to only want to do this to one window at a time -
    if I launch several xviews in the background, the first will often have
    this weirdness happen, but the others don't.  It doesn't only happen
    when creating windows but also sometimes when deiconifying them.  Has
    anyone else seen this?

-- Jamie

de5@de5.CTD.ORNL.GOV (Dave Sill) (09/11/90)

In article <JWZ.90Sep8014239@kolyma.lucid.com>, jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>Oh yeah, here's an actual bug, a weird one:
>
> o  sometimes tvtwm picks a window and makes it be roughly 100x100 after
>    mapping it.

Hmm.  Could it be approximately the same size as your Icon Manager?
What happens when you select "Hide Icon Mgr" from a menu when you have
one of these mini windows?  I've had emacs windows behave as if they
were the Icon Manager before.  I'm at patchlevel 1 on a DECstation
2100.

>    I've seen it happen to xterms, emacses, and xview windows -
>    it will draw the outline of the window waiting for me to click, but
>    whether I just click left or select a different size, it maps it too
>    small.  Now, it seems to only want to do this to one window at a time -
>    if I launch several xviews in the background, the first will often have
>    this weirdness happen, but the others don't.  It doesn't only happen
>    when creating windows but also sometimes when deiconifying them.  Has
>    anyone else seen this?

Yep, sounds like what I'm seeing.  Does patchlevel 2 have this
problem?

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

toml@ninja.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (09/11/90)

(Many generic twm requests deleted)

|>  o  We should have more control over the monochrome colors in the panner -
|>     in color it's possible to specify what the colors of the panner analogs
|>     of certain windows are, so it should be possible to specify different
|>     grayscales too.  Right now the panner is just a big black blob.

The small "virutal" have the same background and border colors as the window
frames.  Perhaps your background and border colors are specified to be the
same?

|>  o  Another way to make the panner entities more legible in monochrome would
|>     be to be able to control the color of their borders.  I suppose this is
|>     because of my particular init file, but in my panner, icons are drawn as
|>     black boxes with white outlines, but all other windows are drawn
as black
|>     boxes with black outlines.  Ick.

See my previous comment.

|>  o  Icon manager windows should be of resource class "Twm" instead of
|>     "Untitled" so that I can talk about all Twm-produced windows in one
|>     expression.

I agree.

|>  o  I think it would be cool if you could configure it so that click-drag on
|>     the root window scrolled the desktop.  Scrolling the whole bitmap would
|>     probably be too slow, but a realtime pan of the window outlines
should be
|>     possible.
|>
|>  o  sometimes tvtwm picks a window and makes it be roughly 100x100 after
|>     mapping it.  I've seen it happen to xterms, emacses, and xview windows -
|>     it will draw the outline of the window waiting for me to click, but
|>     whether I just click left or select a different size, it maps it too
|>     small.  Now, it seems to only want to do this to one window at a time -
|>     if I launch several xviews in the background, the first will often have
|>     this weirdness happen, but the others don't.  It doesn't only happen
|>     when creating windows but also sometimes when deiconifying them.  Has
|>     anyone else seen this?

This sounds like one I may have just fixed.  Try this unofficial patch:

*** old/vdt.c	Thu Sep  6 12:54:23 1990
--- vdt.c	Thu Sep  6 12:54:29 1990
***************
*** 259,265 ****
  TwmWindow *tmp_win;
  {
      XUnmapWindow(dpy, tmp_win->frame);
!     XUnmapWindow(dpy, tmp_win->w);
      if (tmp_win->virtualWindow && !tmp_win->sticky)
  	XUnmapWindow(dpy, tmp_win->virtualWindow);
  }
--- 259,266 ----
  TwmWindow *tmp_win;
  {
      XUnmapWindow(dpy, tmp_win->frame);
!     if (!tmp_win->iconmgr)
! 	XUnmapWindow(dpy, tmp_win->w);
      if (tmp_win->virtualWindow && !tmp_win->sticky)
  	XUnmapWindow(dpy, tmp_win->virtualWindow);
  }

--
Tom LaStrange

Solbourne Computer Inc.    ARPA: toml@Solbourne.COM
1900 Pike Rd.              UUCP: ...!{boulder,sun}!stan!toml
Longmont, CO  80501

gwaters@bcars49.Berkeley.EDU (Glenn Waters) (09/11/90)

Another feature that could be added to help identify windows would be to
allow a mouse button (or any other mapped event) to be clicked on a
"window" in the panner. The event would cause the f.identify function to
be invoked, or some other equivilent identifying scheme.

Glenn Waters, Network Systems Support         gwaters@bnr.ca
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.                  ...!uunet!bcars192!gwaters
P.O. Box 3511, Station C                      (613)763-3933 (Voice)
Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7                 (613)763-3283 (FAX)
#include <disclaimer.h>