[comp.windows.x] IEEE 1201.1

cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (09/10/90)

	I would say that the IEEE P1201.1 group *is* now working on a "virtual
	toolkit API" capable of spanning the current popular GUIs and window
	systems.  A base document created by Marc Rochkind (XVT) was even
	accepted by the group as a starting point.  The document is not the
	XVT API, but rather is a "next generation" based on lessons learned
	from XVT, but with lots of stuff from XVT thrown out (e.g. graphics
	routines) as being outside the scope of the group's charter.

Sounds interesting.  Can those of us that aren't members of IEEE P1201.1
get hold of copies of the base document?  I would be interested to see
what sort of things are being talked about.

	Well, actually the group is currently working under a project
	authorization to work on an X toolkit API, so the whole thing is
	kind of outside their current charter. :-)  A request for a new
	project authorization was delayed at the last meeting on a
	technicality; it's being rewritten and will be resubmitted.

I am right in assuming that the revised project authorization in intended
to include the development of a common API for OSF/Motif and the OPEN LOOK
GUI (and anything else that may be around but making less noise)?  This
will get a lot of support from X programmers and users if not from the GUI
vendors.  Some sort of reconciliation is needed between OSF/Motif and
OPEN LOOK and, since the two opposing camps appear to lack the will to
do this, it obviously has to be imposed by some outside body that is
perceived as neutral.  An IEEE standards body seems ideal, provided that
the vendors can be prevented from gaining enough power to hogtie the
committee.

			Chris Flatters

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (09/10/90)

    Can those of us that aren't members of IEEE P1201.1
    get hold of copies of the base document?

Beats me.  Anyone can attend the meetings.  Maybe even anyone can
subscribe to their mailings (but it does cost money).

    I am right in assuming that the revised project authorization in intended
    to include the development of a common API for OSF/Motif and the OPEN LOOK
    GUI (and anything else that may be around but making less noise)?

My understanding is that it's supposed to deal with all of the following
toolkits, on their respective operating systems: Mac, OLIT, XView, Motif,
tNt, PM, and Windows.  But don't expect it to encompass the entirety of
any one GUI or toolkit.

    Some sort of reconciliation is needed between OSF/Motif and
    OPEN LOOK and, since the two opposing camps appear to lack the will to
    do this, it obviously has to be imposed by some outside body that is
    perceived as neutral.  An IEEE standards body seems ideal, provided that
    the vendors can be prevented from gaining enough power to hogtie the
    committee.

I don't think you know enough about how standards bodies operate. :-)

gjc@mitech.com (09/11/90)

In article <9009101222.AA05082@expo.lcs.mit.edu>, rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>>     an IEEE standards group...

> I don't think you know enough about how standards bodies operate. :-)

An analogy might be useful to visualize things. Standards bodies
operate something like the General Assembly of the United Nations,
not the Security Council.

-gjc

In article <9009092139.AA26152@zia.aoc.nrao.edu> cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) writes:
>I am right in assuming that the revised project authorization in intended
>to include the development of a common API for OSF/Motif and the OPEN LOOK
>GUI (and anything else that may be around but making less noise)?  This

Not so much a "common" API as one which sits above and uses the existing
API's as a substrate.

>will get a lot of support from X programmers and users if not from the GUI
>vendors.  Some sort of reconciliation is needed between OSF/Motif and
Not from this one.  I've got enough problems dealing with the lack
of support and bugs in existing APIs.  The last thing I need is a partial
implementation of the functionality which sits on top of another toolkit.
Then I have to worry about support and bugs in TWO toolkits, not to mention
bypassing the toplevel one (in a different manner for each underlying API)
to get the full functionality that I need.  Finally I need something that
is running now, not two or three years from now.  And I'd appreciate it
if I didn't need a separate doc set for each machine (depending on the
underlying toolkit of course).

Now if someone has a solution that addresses those problems I'd be very
interested.

>OPEN LOOK and, since the two opposing camps appear to lack the will to
>do this, it obviously has to be imposed by some outside body that is
>perceived as neutral.  An IEEE standards body seems ideal, provided that
>the vendors can be prevented from gaining enough power to hogtie the
>committee.

First of all I wouldn't use the word "P1201" and "neutral" in the same
sentence.  Secondly, I'm getting a little pissed off at this "vendors" vs.
"users" stuff.  There are technical reasons why a compromise is not a good
idea, not just political ones.  But if you try and indicate that you'd rather
have one solution or another instead of some hybrid then you are promptly
branded as being biased towards one vendor or another and ignored.  Frankly
I'd rather code my apps to two different toolkits than try and make them work
with a limited functionality hybrid.

							-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.